Thread: Gaston E70, 24-25 SEP 2016

Default Gaston E70, 24-25 SEP 2016

Have never fished Gaston in the summer and my lack of experience and TOW showed. While I got bit frequently they were the wrong size save for 3 measly keepers on SAT. I don't know enough to say the lake is in turnover but I will say it was in a funk. I believe the effects of a very hot summer are still playing on the fish, even in the cooler water temps. Couple that to some pretty hard weather changes and it makes it kinda tuff if you're not on the water regularly enough to piece the changes together.

Practice: I used what I'd seen on recent trips to Anna and Kerr as a start point - fish were still in their summer holding patterns. I focused on main lake and the first set of secondary points, looking for those w/ close access to the main channel or a hard channel swing. I found fish wiling to eat a jig, a c-rig, and a squarebill. Strangely, nothing came out of the grass for me in practice. The willow grass is as healthy and prolific as I've ever seen. All of my fish in practice came from 8-12', including a chunky 3+ lb spotted bass. I was able to get the point pattern to repeat in a number of places. the key for me was natural chunk rock. No rock, no fish. Same-same for the bait - no bait, no fish.

TX day 1: I picked up where I left off, hitting my best 2 main lake points first thing. I banged out 3 small spots on a jerkbait and missed another on the c-rig before that played out. I bounced down to my 2nd spot and banged out my three keepers almost back-to-back. I picked up another 6 or 7 fish - all knuckleheads - before that bite played out. From there I worked my way methodically thru all of the points I'd charted or fished during practice. I picked up a couple more shorties and had two good ones break me off (c-rig). The bite died around noon. Not even a sniff after that. I didn't bother to fish the second day. I didn't have anything that was reliable and the shoulder was hurting pretty good. That math was easy for me to do.

Observations: 1) Bait is moving back into creeks, coves, and main lake cuts but not all. Most of the bait was suspended over main channels or near the mouths. No feeding activity associated w/ any of this. 2) Water temps ranged form 76 on FRI to 81.5 late SAT. Cloud cover on FRI keep things cool. Water didn't warm up much in SAT's heat. 3) Water is clear on the main lake (4+' of viz), stained up in the river and the backs of creeks (~2' of viz). 4) Plastics (greens) and jigs (greens) were the best producers for me. A pearl white jerkbait was best for the early AM bite. Other than a couple knotheads on my BDS 2.2 I had no bites on moving baits all weekend. 5) My best fish came from ~2' of water. The other two keepers were further off, maybe 10-12' from shore and in deeper water. I tried to get this bite to repeat but failed to execute. The two break-offs I had were in deeper water, maybe 10-12'. 6) Wind was key for me. When it died down so did the bite. 7) The rec boat traffic was what you'd expect this time of year. The ride back to the ramp was a lil sporty.

So, we had a great time fishing this trail and look forward to fishing it next year. We're waiting to see what the FoM schedules look like so we can sync it all up. I'm definitely going to have to spend some more time on the bigger lakes during the summer. I have to suck it up when it comes to sharing the water w/ the rec boaters.

peace,
    B

Nice job 31, hope the shoulder is feeling better.
    I'm about to play my Ace

Sounds like the Gaston bite was slow this weekend. Hope that shoulder doesn't give you a fit again!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Sorry I could not make it Pard. Interesting to me anyway tidbit about Spotted bass. I saw a response from Odenkirk, the LKA Biologist said he did not support the stocking of spotted bass into LKA. He said that they would take over the Bass fishery....I wonder if that is happening to Gaston?
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I learned the 'stocking' was covert, allegedly done by an NC fisherman w/o any coordination w/ NC DNR or VDGIF. They are getting big - several 3 lbs + caught but there are millions of little bastages in there. My source is someone I would call hugely reliable, certainly well connected w/ NC DNR.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    I learned the 'stocking' was covert, allegedly done by an NC fisherman w/o any coordination w/ NC DNR or VDGIF. They are getting big - several 3 lbs + caught but there are millions of little bastages in there. My source is someone I would call hugely reliable, certainly well connected w/ NC DNR.
    Same with the Bluecat stocking into Lake Anna. Catfishing club did it without trying to hide it. Now they are known to be 50lbs. They've taken over the Potomac River, so Lake Anna is at risk. I saw alot of Catfish out there hitting baitfish on the surface. It was the dangest thing watching them do that. Their whole back was out of the water and some of these were 6+ lb size......
    cheers,
    Steve

Who cares if Spots take over Lake Anna..at least you can catch them little basturds!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Who cares if Spots take over Lake Anna..at least you can catch them little basturds!
    Then go catch bluegills and crappy and white bass.....they are easy to catch too
    cheers,
    Steve

don't forget the channel cats..we did catch a pile of them sunday
    I'm about to play my Ace