Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the technology enhancement in electronics made you a better fisherman?

THfishing is offline I spend more time posting then working!

Default Has the technology enhancement in electronics made you a better fisherman?

Fishing electronics are constantly changing and getting better. Has the enhancement they have came out with like Side, Down, Chirp, 3D, Spotlight, Panoptics, and 360 helped you in any shape or form put more fish in the boat than just standard sonar did? If so how, and why has it help you so much?

Short answer = yes. Sidescan allows me to cover more water (potential targets) in a fraction of the time. 3D and CHIRP give me more detail and resolution on those targets than previous technology. It's allowed me to evolve from finding an area to finding a spot within that area to finding the sweet spot within the spot. Today's electronic tools give greater range and finer detail. Combined these help turn fishing into catching.

Yes, I use imaging to change fishing to catching. I fish were fish are rather than just fishing and hoping some fish are in the area.

I search with Side Imaging and catch with 360.

Time Management. With the advanced electronics, you can very quickly gain an understanding of what is going on in the fishery, from the water temps, see any thermoclines and with sidescan, get a good 3d understanding of the underwater world. You quickly find the bait, determine the types of bait (herring and threadfin are very different schoolers) see how fish are relating to structure (on bottom, suspended), etc. Then you just need to figure out the timing of a spot and a technique....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Great answers, the true question is how would you fish without using electronics? How would you break down the bank, what key features are you looking for?

I just run the bank, if it feels right, and keep casting. True story...

I'll upgrade soon enough, but for now, I'll just keep doing what I can and have fun with it.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

I wouldn't run banks as much as I would hop points. Points are natural concentration areas for fish. I think in the absence of any kind of electronix focusing on points has higher pay-off potential.

Using my electronics is a serious hole in my game. It's costing me fish, I know it, and I'm too old and hardheaded to take the time to get more proficient. Rather stupid really.

Some of the key features I look for is bank transition like from oak to pine that helps me identify a transition from hard to soft bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by THfishing View Post
    Great answers, the true question is how would you fish without using electronics? How would you break down the bank, what key features are you looking for?
    Depends on the season, but mostly I am paying attention to the various river or creek channels and looking for intersections with points, other creeks, channel turns and either sharp drops or channels near flats (seasonal). Baitfish use the channel edges as highways so there will always be bass relating to these edges and turns. So, without electronics, I used heavier jigs, t-rigs and c-rigs to feel the terrain and get an understanding of the hard/soft/shells/boulders/rocks/wood/stumps that are around the channels and nearby area's.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast