Thread: Lake Moomaw Trout Fishing

Default Lake Moomaw Trout Fishing

Hi, I just recently purchased a house in Green Bank, WV. From the research I've done Lake Moomaw seems to the be the best option in the area for fishing for large trout in a lake. I do a lot of trout fishing in reservoirs up to 8000 acres in upstate NY so I'm very familiar with catching trout in large bodies of water. I both baitfish with alwives & troll (downriggers, leadcore, dipseys etc.). Just wondering if anyone has info or tactics they use on Moomaw they would be willing to share? I would be willing to hire a competent guide to show me the lake if anyone knows of one? Does anyone know where I can obtain a contour map of the lake? Are there any books about fishing in Lake Moomaw? Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Please either post here or PM me, whatever you prefer.

Thanks in advance

Hey Pointer- Moomaw is a beautiful place- You can get a topo map from the Forest Service in Covington -There is also a daily recording of lake levels that will be useful 540-965-4117. Live alewives are the best bait for big Browns but I can't seem to get very good at it - Night, lights and a quick cast net - Lots of guys do have luck trolling spoons - Lately I have had some luck with 3" Gulps (smelt or watermelon) on a slip float rig. 1/16oz jighead 6' floro leader to swivel, bead and 1/2 oz egg sinker above bead & swivel. I set a depth on the slip float, 20 to 50 feet, and let the rig out behind the boat. Tap the trolling motor every 2 minutes or so and the rig rises then falls as the boat slows. The secret is finding the depth of the bait or trout. I turn on the downscan and ride around to see some promising images then set the stop at that depth. Winter time usually means they are closer to the top (15 to 20 feet) and summer may find them as deep as 60 feet. Jan.& Feb can find trout all over but Summer is best downlake in deep water. It also seems that I rarely catch any after mid morning and most of the locals go at Night. Don't be surprised because this slip float method catches anything- I have had days with big catfish and citation smallmouth but no trout. I also usually have a 1/4 oz blade bait on one rod in the winter which is nice to try when the downscan shows huge schools below-
    Hope my ramblings have helped you get started- Good Luck

stratos283FS (andy) fishes moomaw a lot. you might wanna ping him via PM. between andy and jacker1 you should be in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    stratos283FS (andy) fishes moomaw a lot. you might wanna ping him via PM. between andy and jacker1 you should be in good shape.
    Welcome to VA Outdoors. I don't trout fish, the only trout I've caught at Moomaw have been while bass fishing. They will hit a blade or 3" jerkbait. Jacker1 has some great posts if you do a search.

I have seen a lot of boats trolling with downriggers, your lake fishing experience should carry over to Moomaw very well.
    Last edited by Stratos 283 FS; 12-27-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Need blade baits? Click here

Thanks for the responses. Any info on a new lake helps make the learning curve a little easier. Jacker to catch the alwives up here I use a lantern to bring them to the boat an then snag them with a Sabiki rig, it always works best on a really dark night. Might as well stay home on a full moon. I use a digital thermometer and/or a Fish Hawk to find the preferred temperature and speed at the downrigger ball. I've never done anything like that with the Gulp before but I will certainly give it a try. I'm looking forward to fishing Moomaw. Thanks again for the suggestions!

i'm sure with your experience on other lakes you will be able to catch some good trout in Moomaw. Please post pics if you/when you are successful I look forward to seeing some big brown trout!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    i'm sure with your experience on other lakes you will be able to catch some good trout in Moomaw. Please post pics if you/when you are successful I look forward to seeing some big brown trout!
    Thanks for the encouraging words! Probably be spring sometime before I get to do any fishing in Moomaw but I will post pics & reports.

Hey, just read your post and wondered if you have had any success with Lake Moomaw?