Thread: Hangover Classic 1/1/2017

Default Hangover Classic 1/1/2017

Big E and I started our day in Pigeon Creek working the usual cold weather baits (jerk-bait, silver buddy, scrounger) with little to no success in the first hour. We noticed that much of the bait was on the surface, likely due to the mild night time temperatures, and the birds were having a field day picking them off. For us the morning bite was nonexistent but I was able to pick up our first keeper on a small point in Pigeon on a silver buddy around 8:30. This fish weighed about 2.5lbs and had holes from a cull tag but hey, we aren't proud, we perfectly OK with starting our day with a retread.

From here we ran up lake a little ways and hit a few flats, points and channel swings and we were able to catch another small fish on a jerk-bait. With the bite very slow we decided to head into sturgeon and try a few spots but couldn't muster anything so we headed into Boggs where we were able to pick up a squeaker on the silver buddy. With things being so slow we decided to try different areas so we jumped down to Rockland where we picked up another 2.5lber on the jerk-bait and from there we started working our way back up lake stopping on a main channel swing just south of Sturgeon where Eric picks up another 2.5lber on the jerk-bait. We worked some areas around the outside of Sturgeon for a while and picked up a fish fish or two but nothing with any size so we ran up above Stubbs Bridge and could buy a bite. At this point it was getting close to noon so we decided to retrace our steps back down lake areas and picked up a few more keeper size fish but they were generally small.

Our biggest fish was caught on a rock pile in the Dukes Creek vicinity in about 12' of water and Eric was able to catch this fish on a scrounger head. For the rest of the day we worked our way back up lake and were never able to upgrade. For us the bite seemed a little better down lake as well as the quality of the fish. We summarized that this may have been attributable to less fishing pressure, a lower bait concentration as well as a very minimal chop on the water from the light winds.

We finished our day with a respectable Anna limit of 13lbs but we just weren't able to get the better bites. I did have one pull off on a jerk-bait that felt like he may have had some weight and Eric lost a good fish as well but that's fishing...

All in all it was a great day to be out on the water and the weather couldn't have been much better for this time of year. Special thank you to Wayne Snow for putting this thing together, it was really good to catch up with all the VAO guys! Oh, an Happy Belated Birthday to Squire!
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Aha, I know all those spots....lol

Great seeing you Nate....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Congratulations guys. Well done. But no surprise haha.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Congrats on the win yesterday under some rather tougher than January 1st conditions.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Congrats Nate and BigE, way to get the year going off on the right foot. ��
    </div>

Congratulations fellas!!
    Crank That Jank!

Not much I can add to that. Was a fun/frustrating day trying to figure out those finicky Anna bass! Always a good day fishing with Nate and thanks to Wayne for getting the group together again. Wish I could make the next one too but work is going to gig me on that one. Hope we can have a few more events this year to get all the boys together again! It's always a good time!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Nice job fellas!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Great job dudes. Y'all strike again.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Good seeing you 2 as well as everyone else. Love fishing with this bunch. Maybe we can gather a few of the others on the next one.
    2017 Ironman winner