Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feral Hogs / Wild Boar in VA

I can honestly say, the ones we kill in Culpeper are tasty as hell.
    Crank That Jank!

I was hunting swamp hogs. I'd say ones raised in the woods have a totally different diet. Would make a big diff.

So, my experience w/ the culinary aspects of feral hogs is a lil different. They were a very close 2nd (only to deer) when it came to most popular game when I lived in LA (Boudreaux likes pig). I've been to more pig pickin's than I can recall and in every case the meat was good. Lean, a little gamey and stringy at times, but good. My experience is the same w/ wild hogs (javelina). A lil more gamey but still good.

Charlie is a way better man than me, going after a feral pig w/ only a 9mm. My handgun of choice was a S&W 41 mag and even then it would often take a couple-three rounds to bring it down. The .308 WIN is good, the .270 WIN is gooder, the .300 WIN mag is goodest.

I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
    I put a 124 gr Golden Saber hollowpoint right between his headlights. He went down like the hand of God had struck him.

Ha ha ha
    Thank God For Rednecks

30/06 180gr core Lokt stops em also.
    Crank That Jank!

Little late to the party but I jumped one on my ATV at my parents house in Hanover (few miles west of Ashland) a couple years ago. Wasn't all that big, best guess 50-60 pounds. Couple days later leaving for a fishing trip early in the AM heard at least one, sounded like a couple of them, back in the same area. Needless to say, loaded up the boat way quicker than usual and I was gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Have you seen evidence of them Macon? recently?
    Nothing at all, those were the only two times I have ever seen/heard them. I believe that was back when I was in college so 5-6 years ago. Man does time fly by!! The coyote population has really risen since then so maybe they have taken care of them some? I did see a couple days ago a fallen tree on the ground with about the bottom 5 feet ripped open just like a bear was digging for a quick meal... Not sure what other animals would do the same thing. One was recently caught on a trail camera a few hundred yards away as well so there is certainly one around somewhere.

Only way I have hog hunted is with a bow and that is a blast. If i could find a place in the state to hunt them inexpensively i would do often. They have not made there way over the mountain yet but i am sure they are coming. I will side with Wayne and 31 they are tasty I pull the loins whole and do the rest of the hog in sausage using Mortons Sausage and Meatloaf seasoning. I do it the same as my normal sausage recipe adding around 8-12% fat and i use beef talon instead of hog.

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12