Thread: Rifle/Scope Issue questions for a dummy

Default Rifle/Scope Issue questions for a dummy

I bought a pretty nifty toy a few weeks ago.. having some issues figuring it out.

Its a Weatherby Mark V Accumark, magnaported, timney trigger etc etc.. I also got Leupold VX3i with Leupold Mark V Bases and low rings..

I go out back and shoot the gun at 25yds with a big 3'x3' piece of paper after bore sighting(my bore laser is historically off as it's an el cheapo Walmart crap thing).. and the guns shooting high, missing the pallet I made into a target holder by a good bit, as I can see leaves flying from impact behind it... I literally chase the round so much I run out of travel adjustment in my scope but get the round on target but it's still about 1' high at 25yds!! okay...

So I grab some high rings from the store.. thinking this will fix it. Get it mounted today, go out back... same deal only now I am about 10" high.. I am out of travel adjustment on my scope.. I'm assuming I need to shim the front base? But is it realistic to think I can shim 10" out at 25yds?

If it makes any difference the grouping from the rifle is superb... it's just incredibly high lol...

What do I do so I'm not throwing money at something that won't work, or tossing a several thousand dollar toy into the woods out of frustration lol...

Couple of things to check. Some guns have a beveled 20 moa base that gives you a lot of milled "up" so you don't run out of adjustment for extreme long range shooting. Check and see if your base is thicker at one end than the other. If it is, the thicker end should be towards the rear of the rifle.

What model of VX3 do you have? Does it have the large adjustable target turrets? If so, it may have a "zero stop" that doesn't allow you to go below your preset zero. If it has the target turrets, your elevation wheel will have either two or three very small allen screws on it. Remove them and it will have a standard t slot for a screwdriver, this will give you more down than doing it with the turret on. It would help me if you could post a close up of your elevation wheel.

OR

Just make sure the deer are really, really far away and it should drop right back on target at somewhere around 800yds

OR

Sell it to me for like 200 bucks and I'll figure it out and you won't have to mess with it.

I'm at work now and didn't see this to take pic's in time.

The scope doesn't have the large resettable turrets, it is just the "standard" hunting scope https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...i-3-5-10x40mm/

I did notice that I do believe they handed me the wrong bases.... As I was googling last night, I googled the bases for the accumark, and the front base is way different looking than what is on there. So I ordered the bases as shown on the net, plus I ordered a set of Burris Signature Z rings with the inserts to adjust the MOA if needed with the new bases.

Just to revisit, the guy I bought it from had the Mark V "Magnum" bases on it. $12.95 later, with the standard non magnum mark v bases installed its shooting lights out.

By far my tightest shooting rifle, though I don't have lots of "high" end long range rifles either.

And to clarify, as I called Weatherby to discuss the issue before resolution... they said it probably had the Magnum bases by mistake... The magnum calibers in weatherby have a different sloped receiver than standard calibers. Its a .270win, not a .270wby

I guarantee I got that $3500-4k package for $1k because the dude couldn't figure out the $12.95 issue he had..

Beautiful weapon. Interesting caliber assortment. Which did you get?

I would've guessed you needed to shim the rear post to take out 10" of high. Glad you got it sorted out.

I got the .270win

I wasn't looking.. but saw an add on a local hunting forum, it was advertised as a .270Wby, which is a magnum, and it was $1k with the scope. The pics on the add were blurry and just bad... it was an hour away, so I took a drive. I noticed it said .270win on the barrel, and the guy told me he could never get it sighted in... Obviously I was having an issue as well.

A quick call to the manufacturer, explained the issues and he knew immediately without explaining to him the advertising flaw... I don't think the guy I bought from realized the difference in the .270win and .270wby... It would be impossible to feed a .270wby shell into it, so... I dunno lol...

I bought it, because if it was flawless, I was thinking of flipping it and making an easy $1k, as the gun by itself is $2500 and the scope is very pricey as well... but after sighting it in... Its a keeper lol.

I have since also bought the aluminum leupold scope covers, they are lambo's compared to butler creek and are costing me more as they are a must have item on all of my other field weapons now.

You did well.

Great deal!
    Boat: 1994 Stratos 201 ProXL, 1999 Johnson 225HO
    Fav Lure: Texas Rig or Frog
    Biggest Fish: 8 lbs

</div>