Thread: Kayak Trip Locations

Default Kayak Trip Locations

I'm trying to plan a 4-5 day trip during Spring Break (2nd week of April) that will include a few days on the water with the kayaks. My daughter is 12, so I'm trying to find some places that don't have much in the way of current, rapids, or boat traffic.

Is there any access to Chickahominy Lake up river from Eagles landing? The upper Chickahominy Lake has several miles of water that looks like it would be nice to spend a day or three, but it would be nice to get access further up river instead of paddling from Eagles landing and a covering the same water two days in a row.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for family friendly kayak water within three or four hours of Harrisonburg that would provide things to do for 4-5 days?

Take a look at paddling.com for some ideas. I've gotten a few from it over the years. Here's an example:

https://paddling.com/reports/chickah...outh-virginia/
    Thank God For Rednecks

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    Take a look at paddling.com for some ideas. I've gotten a few from it over the years. Here's an example:

https://paddling.com/reports/chickah...outh-virginia/
    Thanks for the link, I did find another launch site on the upper Chickahominy River on the launch site map that I didn't know about.

Looking at Google Earth, I found what looks like a launch site on the upper Chick Lake at the end of John Heltzer Ln., but I can't tell if it is public or private.

With the help of Google I found that the land around John Heltzer Ln. is owned by the VA department of Forestry. I called them to see if I could access the upper lake there and was told that it isn't open to the public.

Since I can't get in there, it's looking like I might end up at the outer banks for the week, and do some kayaking soundside.

If memory serves there is a put in on Roxbury Rd where it crosses the chick. It's way up from Eagle's landing. Not sure if that's maybe too far though. You could alway put in there one day and Eagle's landing the next. Okay I looked into it further and there is a put in there but it's waaayy up river from the actual lake. Maybe not a good option for you.
    Last edited by Chipper78; 03-18-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: More info