Thread: Spring Break

Default Spring Break

Hey Andy- I've done a lot of those Spring Break trips with the kids- Rockahock and Ed Allens are memorable because that time usually coincides with the shad & herring run. Just buy a bucket of minnows and sit on the downside of the dam and wait for stripers, yellow perch, bass and pickerel- Forget about the herring and shad, you get tired pretty fast from pulling them in- My daughter liked to camp at Christopher Run and paddle back in the cove, then head for the food trailer ( her camping preference always included a flush toilet)-
    Chick Lake is a neat place to paddle because of the wildlife (don't sit under an osprey nest too long) and scenery. If you go on the river side of the dam, just watch the tide chart. An outgoing tide will suck you to the James River if you are not careful so an incoming tide works better for exploring the guts and creeks. Another good reason for a trip to the chick is Williamsburg- If you get a rainy day, there's plenty to keep the kids busy.

Quote Originally Posted by jacker1 View Post
    Hey Andy- I've done a lot of those Spring Break trips with the kids- Rockahock and Ed Allens are memorable because that time usually coincides with the shad & herring run. Just buy a bucket of minnows and sit on the downside of the dam and wait for stripers, yellow perch, bass and pickerel- Forget about the herring and shad, you get tired pretty fast from pulling them in- My daughter liked to camp at Christopher Run and paddle back in the cove, then head for the food trailer ( her camping preference always included a flush toilet)-
    Chick Lake is a neat place to paddle because of the wildlife (don't sit under an osprey nest too long) and scenery. If you go on the river side of the dam, just watch the tide chart. An outgoing tide will suck you to the James River if you are not careful so an incoming tide works better for exploring the guts and creeks. Another good reason for a trip to the chick is Williamsburg- If you get a rainy day, there's plenty to keep the kids busy.
    Hey Jim, I've been on the river below the dam, but never fished Chick Lake. I'm afraid of too many boat wakes below the dam, and the upper lake looks like it would be fun in a kayak.I thought about Williamsburg and a day at Busch Gardens to give the family plenty to do.

Need blade baits? Click here