Thread: Chick River - Friday 4/14

Default Chick River - Friday 4/14

Got out of work a bit early and had a sitter lined up, so my wife and I hit the Chick for a few hours out of Rockahock on Friday afternoon/eve.

Got on the water about 2:30-3:00pm and just ran the boat for a bit since it was the first time out since February. The ole' Nitro ran great, especially with the new jack-plate after having the old one crack on me. Sanderson said they set it at the same height, but whatever they did yielded me several MPH more than usual. Found myself easily at 59mph, whereas normally she'll top out around 55, so I was happy to see that.

The fishing was not what I was hoping for though. I expected moving baits to do well, but I was sorely disappointed. After working over several areas for a bit I switched to some plastics and got my first bite on a cypress tree. Smallish bass, but it was a keeper. A few minutes later I hooked up on a little dirty catfish. That was about it for a while then I went to some pad flats and started throwing topwater and a 1-minus. I had a decent fish short strike the 1-minus at the boat, and that was it for a while longer.

Back to the pads around the landing and I had put everything away except a square-bill as I fished our way back to the ramp thru the pads. (My wife had long since given up, and we hadn't said a word to each other in like two hours, as she was engrossed in a new book). I caught another small keeper on the pads, and had two other misses. After the misses I had a feeling (slow down)...and grabbed the plastics back out the rod box. My wife said, "I thought you were done?" Not a chance...LOL.

I made a couple flips and then my bait got heavy. I pulled up a little more, and felt a little head shake....and 'WHAM". Dang I love those short hard hooksets, that turn into some CQC. It was game on for a bit as that angry momma tail danced all over the place while I waited for her to tucker out. No net was out, so I got a hand in her mouth and it was over. Snapped a few pics, hung her on the scale and called it a day. 5.13lbs, and that one bite makes it right. I don't get those bites too often, so it was a nice surprise. We loaded up and grabbed a burger on the way home. It was a great little outing with the wife.

Last edited by gnfsnva; 04-17-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Nice one.

I'm offended and scared by the picture of an evil black rifle on your shirt. Retreating to my safe space now..........

Nice one Ek! I wasn't as lucky as you on Saturday. lol Good job!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Nice fish...lay off the juice
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Nice fish...lay off the juice
    LOL. I need to lay off the daggum Oreo's...
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 04-17-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

nice, Erik. especially pleased to see you hooked only fish and not yourself (again).

Pretty fish with perfect timing.
    Thank God For Rednecks