Thread: Poquoson Flats and Ware River 7/8-7/9

Default Poquoson Flats and Ware River 7/8-7/9

Took the boat down to Poquoson Saturday morning to fish the flats. Been wanting to try out this area for years.

I got on the water about 6am and spent the first couple hours throwing topwaters around the marsh banks. I caught several houndfish and C&R'd one 20" speck on a pink spook, but that was it for the surface bite.

A while later I found a school of little specks popping in a creek and hooked a couple on jigs before leaving to look for bigger fish. As the sun came up I switched to a popping cork on the flats but all that caught was more houndfish. Really surprised I didn't catch some trout and reds out over the grass, cause man does it look good out there.

By late morning the wind was really kicking up so I headed inside the Back River to look for puppy drum. I threw a spinnerbait along some pilings and immediately hooked into a very large cownose ray that snapped my 30lb braid like dental floss. Tied on another and eventually hooked into a fat lower slot red. That was my last bite and I headed in around 1:30.

The wind forecast wasn't looking good for Poquoson on Sunday so I launched in the Ware River instead. I spent the whole morning fishing some beautiful grass but couldn't find the large trout I was hoping for. I did catch one little speck, several schoolie stripers, a bunch of croakers, a kingfish, and more houndfish. Most of the fish were caught jigging. I probably had a dozen bites on topwater but only hooked one small striper, not sure what the others were. The water was ridiculously warm, it ranged from 82-87 throughout the day. I can't wait to get back there when it cools down a bit, cause I'm sure that grass holds a lot of fish at times.

was a little choppy there Friday as well i fished or should say tried to fish Friday. Then Saturday was a much nicer day spent most of it at the 2nd island fishing for spades and then chasing Cobia outside the bridge. Be back there the 21st i hope.

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Man I am dying to catch a big cobia. I always bring a larger spinning rod with a big bucktail just in case I see one when I'm out there.

they were on the flat early this year beginning of June there were a ton there. You can still get them there just need to be on the outer edge of it.

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?