Thread: Rappahanock River Trifecta

Default Rappahanock River Trifecta

Jeff (Ranger374) and I fished 3 separate tournaments on the rapp with FFC July 22nd, Accakeek Sportsman open July 30th, and back again August 5th.
    July 22nd was a very hot day with the tide full in to start day. We decided to head down river and start in some pad fields. I was looking for 2 maybe 3 bites here. The area doesn't produce a lot but when it does they're solid. We left there with 4 fish capitalizing on a good morning bite. All fish on frogs largest over 4#'s smallest 21/2. So area 1 did more than I was hoping. We stoped on spot 2 a creek mouth on way back up river, which seemed to be slow but got topped of limit and culled with a solid 3# fish. Then went to last stop another area I call 3 creek because 3 small creeks come in a 100+ yard stretch. Here Jeff and I put a beat down on them culling up several times. After a while we decided we'd leave it for another day. We headed to weigh in thinking about 13#'s but ended with just over 16#'s enough for win and just shy of having big fish. Sweet memoriable day.
    July 30th we decided to hit the Accakeek Sportsman Open, this morning was only 58* with a outgoing flood tide with about 3 hrsleft in it. We decided to run up river and start at 3 creek area. We spent most of day here. We capitalized on a tremendous early top water bait. I was throwing a buzz bait and Jeff a pop-r. We had our limit by 7:04 and culled up 3 more times. But by 9:45 the bite died. From here till end of day we struggled catching a fish here and there but mostly short fish. We never really looked the fish over during the frenzy but wasn't thinking we had enough with the crowd we were fishing with. When restarted pulling fish out we looked at each other thinking wow maybe 12#'s but weighed in at little over 14#'s and was enough to take our 2nd win.
    August 5th, we were back with FFC with some great sticks for this river. We again had a high tide. My first thought was again back to pads. But drawing boat 19, I thought our delayed launch time would most likely put a few boats in the pads ahead of us. So the plan was set we would go to the 3 creek area to start. Seemed like it was gonna be a good day but to start there was already a boat on the main creek mouth. So we started at other end when the next shoe drops our first 4 bites we didn't capitalize on. I picked up the frog to throw it up to a shallow area where I just saw a good swirl and bait jumping. But boing backlash and frog falls shot. I pull out backlash a started to reel in frog for another cast. The retrieve was fast to frog was hopping out of water and boom a fish grabs frog and misses I stop retrieve and boom she hits it again and engulfs it. Fish 1 in box solid 3+ in well. Then it was just dinks. Caught a 13" bass that had a hump back. Then about 1-11/2 later on the creek mouth other boat had been tying up left. We moved in and I chucked the frog out above some grass and slow twitching frog. Nothing so I started crackling it back for another shot and boom another heavy 21/2# fish. So next cast I threw it up in creek mouth and started cracking rod and boom #4 fish. We topped it off with another 12" fish. We then ran to a small creek mouth up close to weigh in. Here Jeff dulls out our smallest fish with a 31/2 fish. A 21/2# cull was what we needed. With only 10 minutes left we wrapped it up to head to weigh in.
    We weighed in at 12.16. Again with the sticks in the club wasn't thinking was enough for anything, but was enough for our 3rd in a row victory, by only .18#'s. This was a feat I'd never had believed would happen, a win is hard enough to accomplish so 3 is something I will never forget. Jeff and I worked together as a fined oiled machine to keep our heads in game and Not giving up.
    2017 Ironman winner

Nice "Rapport" Carl. Ya'll are on fire.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

It was a good run buddy!

Very impressive! It will be tough to ever do that again!

What is the boating like on the tidal Rapp? Are there a lot of navigational hazards or is it pretty easy?

Rapping it all up.

Great work fellas.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Great job fellas, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 2 View Post
    Very impressive! It will be tough to ever do that again!

What is the boating like on the tidal Rapp? Are there a lot of navigational hazards or is it pretty easy?
    Above Port Royal is pretty easy, just need to watch out for floaters. It gets a little tricky below Port Royal with the big mud flats.

Congrats fellas. Well done.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Nice job gents!! Congrats on the wins!