Thread: Upper James River Float Questions...

Default Upper James River Float Questions...

I'm researching doing a little float on the upper James with my wife the first weekend of November. Looking at the area between Horseshoe Bend and Buchannan, or about 6.5 miles of river, to be floated in a day trip.

Just curious who has maybe done this stretch in the past? What could we expect in a canoe as far as water/rapids/flow etc? Is the fishing any good, and is it good in November? How long should we expect it to take? Best baits/tactics for that stretch?

FWIW - We stopped at the suspension bridge in Buchannan a year or two back, and we both thought it was a pretty place to hang out and we talked about coming back with some kayaks or a canoe. I could see several decent smallies just from standing up on the bridge...so my impression is that there are plenty of fish, but I could be totally wrong for the 6-miles upriver?

I'll take any other suggestions for the area (including Lexington) on eats and other things to do during the day. Will probably drive up to Lexington early-'ish' on Saturday and find something to do, stay the night, then have plenty of time to float/fish/read on Sunday.

Thanks.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Good luck on your float. I know the New like the back of my hand, but have never been on the upper James. The smallmouth fishing will be tough in November. Jigs, jigs, jigs. Or throw something big and goofy if you want to catch a muskie. If you want to throw a combo bait, something like a husky jerk will catch both the SM and muskie. Or you may have a big muskie take away one of your smallmouth. I've had it happen several times on the New.

Should be decent fishing up that way, I would recommend packing waterproof clothes, shouldn't be much in the way of rapids but may hit some decent little standing waves.

Another option with what I have heard is decent fishing (we have run it several times for whitewater down to Snowden on the James) is Glen Maury park to the confluence of the James on the Maury River. Maybe a class 2 rapid here or there when the water is up. Water will be pretty cold up in the mountains so I would think slowww presentations would be the key. Shoot me a text if you have any questions Erik.

Thanks dudes.

Booked a hotel room and we'll go for it. Reading about that particular float, it looks pretty easy and the outfitter there in Buchanan (Twin River Outfitters) has some good info on where and how to run the little bit of rapids that are there. Hopefully we can get some rain and the waters won't be too low. That said, with my wife and a canoe, we are not looking to do anything to get us more wet than need to be. We'll for sure have a dry-bag on board with a change of gear.

We'll also need to figure out the pick-up/drop-off thing though. We'd rather not take 2 cars from RVA, but we'll see whats available for a quick shuttle in the area.

Anyone reading this want to give us a ride the 7.1 miles (11-min) from 'B' back up to 'A' or vice versa? (Seriously though...would love to only have to take one vehicle. Shoot me a PM if interested, I can compensate for time and fuel)
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Thanks dudes.

Booked a hotel room and we'll go for it. Reading about that particular float, it looks pretty easy and the outfitter there in Buchanan (Twin River Outfitters) has some good info on where and how to run the little bit of rapids that are there. Hopefully we can get some rain and the waters won't be too low. That said, with my wife and a canoe, we are not looking to do anything to get us more wet than need to be. We'll for sure have a dry-bag on board with a change of gear.

We'll also need to figure out the pick-up/drop-off thing though. We'd rather not take 2 cars from RVA, but we'll see whats available for a quick shuttle in the area.

Anyone reading this want to give us a ride the 7.1 miles (11-min) from 'B' back up to 'A' or vice versa? (Seriously though...would love to only have to take one vehicle. Shoot me a PM if interested, I can compensate for time and fuel)
    Twin River outfitters won't run you up to the put in? My dad has used them before for a 3 day, 2 night float and they provided everything (canoe, paddles, dry bags, etc.) which made it really easy for the weekend and they ran the shuttle for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kickin bass View Post
    Twin River outfitters won't run you up to the put in? My dad has used them before for a 3 day, 2 night float and they provided everything (canoe, paddles, dry bags, etc.) which made it really easy for the weekend and they ran the shuttle for you.
    Looking at their website, it looks like they only provide shuttle service for folks using their boats, or their properties, not for those just showing up with all their own gear. I'm going to call them today though.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

I'm about an hour from there, get in touch with me the week before and I'll handle your put in. If I'm not out of town working, my work schedule is sporadic and unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
    I'm about an hour from there, get in touch with me the week before and I'll handle your put in. If I'm not out of town working, my work schedule is sporadic and unpredictable.
    Thanks a bunch for the offer. I spoke with that old dude you know, 31-somethingortheother, and I think we're going to hook up for breakfast that Sunday morning, and he'll run us up the road to drop us off. He's fairly close at about 25-30min.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Oh Lord, you'll get in the car with anybody. If you ever want to do the New come on up and I can handle your put in/out and even give you my canoe if you don't want to haul one. I have a 17' Old Town that's a perfect canoe to take a wife in, it's about 8" wider than a regular canoe and hard to turn over. I also have a drop gate trailer, I hate fighting canoes on top of vehicles.