Thread: A little help?

Default A little help?

I'm a pretty avid bass and crappie fisherman that has been working to learn to catch LKA stripers. Over the last two or three years we've been out with hemby, Learned to consistently catch and keep bait, and upgraded to a decent sonar that i know how to read... the problem has been finding the fish! While i admit weather hasnt been ideal on most trips, i'm getting skunked quite a bit and have yet to limit out.

I've been all over the lake and in two years have only marked a single 'speghetti' school on sonar. I'd love any guidance anyone can offer on how to go about locating the schools, i'm clearly missing something!

If you have been out with Hemby fishing and aren't doing well not sure there is much any of us can do to help you lol.

Do you have SI on your boat?
    I'm about to play my Ace

Jim Hemby has forgotten more than most of us will ever learn - he is amazing on the lake.

As for electronics, this thread is hands down the best at learning how to really use your sonar

http://va-outdoors.com/threads/16857-This-thread-is-devoted-to-anything-Navionics-related

I have a helix di/si gps unit. I find the bait schools great! Just nothing to eat 'em!

Call Johnny Ellis at https://www.orangetroller.com/. He can probably help you out in one trip.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Pretty sure about 90% of the year you find stripers at the splits or at dyke 3
    I'm about to play my Ace

I need to try dyke 3 more... few times i've tried we caught fish but all 14-16". Splits has been hit or miss for me. Are you typically up by pea hump or down closer to big ben flats or the old river channel toward 208?

Do most of you run on plane until you locate a school on sonar or are you looking for bait... or other indicators?

It take’s an experienced eye to pick out schools of bait and striper on plane at 30, 40, or 50 MPH. Jim has that experience. I sure don’t, haha. I idle around when I’m looking. Striper can be very shallow in 5-10 feet of water near shore lines, they could be feeding over 20 foot flats, or on a 40 foot flat. Find large amounts of bait and you will find the striper. That being said, finding that spaghetti screen shot doesn’t happen as often as people would have you think it does. The timing has to be perfect to get that shot. Striper school up to work the bait, then attack...if you find them at that precise moment you will get that classic spaghetti look. But once they attack, then the school of Striper break apart quickly, and will then continue to feed as individuals or in smaller groups. It takes awhile for a large school of Striper to get regrouped.
    I always start looking for striper and bait over the channels. When I find an area with lots of bait, then I look for feeding Striper on the nearby flats near the channels. Most often, I will only see the tell-tell signs of individual fish or a few in close proximity to one another. Hope this helps.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper