Thread: Philpott 20/22

Default Philpott 20/22

They're running a little fall series out of the Pot this year. We had a tough day. Only had eight bites all day. Only thing we could get hit on was either a jig or a dropshot. Our 5 were just a hair under 8lb. Took a little over 10 to win. Water temp is 72 and clear on the bottom end. We never got above mile 4. Very little boat traffic. The fishing wasn't great, but man, what a nice day to be on the water.

Philpott and South Holsten are on my VA list of need to hit...
    I'm about to play my Ace

Both nice lakes. Holston in particular is nice. Philpott is a good place for numbers, but not known for lots of large fish. Holston has some donkeys in it.

Is the water normally that warm this time of year?
    Thank God For Rednecks

No, it's usually about 10 degrees colder by now. It's coming, just late this year. The fishing, particularly for smallmouth will pick up when it gets down to about 60ish. If you want to have some fun this time of year Pokerface, you need to get your yak back in the back of Clapboard and catch stripers. They usually follow the shad back there and are pretty predictable this time of year. About the last two house before dark can get exciting. There is a ramp back there that is run by Isaac Walton or something like that, can't remember the other big conservation group.

I used to go back into Clapboard but it's a real drag driving to Dehaven and paddling all that way. Too many times I found myself paddling in total darkness due to heading back too late in the day . I do remember hearing quite a ruckus back there one year. Following the noise, I found some stripers tearing into some shad. I had nothing with me they wanted. I've got some nice paddle tail swimbaits that work pretty well for them. I'll look into that ramp. It would be nice to put in there, paddle in that area, and take out.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Yeah, there is a dock and ramp all the way in the back. Isaac Walton or DU or somebody owns a big piece of property back there.