Thread: Fall and Winter Trout Fishing near Richmond

Default Fall and Winter Trout Fishing near Richmond

Any recommended trout rivers and streams 1-2 hour driving distance from Richmond? just had a new baby and struggling to find time to do full day fishing trips, though i'd like to eventually get out to highland county and southwestern part of the state.

Also, any thoughts from the group on not fishing for brook trout in the fall / winter after the spawn? i've heard some people take a strict stance on not fishing brook trout streams until the spring, but i'm not really sure how to avoid brook trout as i don't think brown and rainbows typically spawn in virginia.

I think people try and not fish native brook trout streams, or at least that is what I have read...there a bunch of stocked trout streams/lakes in Albemarle, Madison, Greene that all should be less than 2 hours from Richmond...just take a peek on the VDGIF website.
    I'm about to play my Ace

3 beautiful rivers in Madison county are stocked with trout. There are also native trout streams out that way. That's my go-to during the winter if everything else is locked up in ice.

Never thought about avoiding wild brookies during the Fall, though I don't fish for them often. If you use single barbless hooks and be gentle with the fish I don't think you'd be doing any harm.

It doesn't hurt to fish spawning brookies if you treat the fish properly. Handle them gently and they're fine. Use a barbless hook and take it out with hemostats while they're still in the water.

I used to piss off a game warden buddy of mine by telling him my favorite meal was spotted owl garnished with wild brook trout.

From what I read its more about being in the streams disturbing the nests/fry etc....We would need an all around expert like Jay T to weigh in on this though
    I'm about to play my Ace

2 Hours from Richmond, man I would try the Rose and push it a hair further to Mossy Creek

Lots of streams to fish on the east slope of SNP. Access from the bottom to avoid skyline drive. It's fine to fish after the spawn. Just limit your wading and avoid the nests. We really need rain. Last time I was up there the beginning of October there wasn't much water flowing.