Thread: VDFT - Lake Anna - November 10/11

Default VDFT - Lake Anna - November 10/11

What a great weekend on the water, at Lake Anna. I know right... LOL

Started out Friday morning by heading up to my boys' school for a Vets Day ceremony which was outstanding. It brought me great joy and pride to see our young-ins learning about our vets, their sacrifices and about how great our country is. I was proud to see all the other vets there, many with decades of service to this great nation. It was a good start.

From there I headed up to the lake, met up with Lil-Bit (Chris) and got on the water about 11:30. We had already decided to check out the same pattern that put us in 4th last year, so we ran straight up the Anna arm. It was cool and windy to say the least on Friday. At our first stop we doubled up on some small keepers on about 3rd or 4th casts. Good to go, and we moved on. A short way down, we caught a couple more on the crankbait, and from there went looking at new water, but unfortunately, nothing else produced even a sniff.

As we wrapped up and headed back in about 4:15 coming back down the Pamunkey by the island we saw a mass of birds busting the water. We were going to hit one more bass spot, but couldn't pass this opportunity. Came off plane and the wind drifted us right into them and it was an absolute blast for about 20-min. Small stripers were busting the surface, and the bigger ones were down deep. We landed 6 keepers in that short span, with the bigger fish being caught by Chris on a Vault while bottom bouncing. I was yo-yoing a Toothache spoon thru and picked up two smaller fish, then a nice 'Wiper' choked on my spoon. Great way to end the fishing day, and then we loaded up and hit dinner with a couple of the VAO dudes, including 31 and Wayne.

As you all know, tournament morning was flat out cold. Start temps were in the low-20's and just before blast off my TM got frozen in the down position. Fortunately I was able to work it free, and we used our #9 launch spot to get up the Anna arm to our first spot. I hooked up pretty quick and we had a squeaker keeper in the boat to 'break the ice'. We then moved up and down our stretch for a while hooking up on a nice crappie (drop-shot) and one or two dinks on the crankbait. We were about to move on but decided to go ahead and make one more pass fishing off a bit and cranking deeper with a couple DT-10's. Chris hooked up on our 2nd keeper, and a minute or two later I put #3 in the boat. Nothing spectacular about them, but it put us closer to our goal of just getting a limit. I then started casting deeper, while he worked 45s from the bank out. I saw a no wake bouy and made two wind blow casts to the wrong side, and I told Chris that I needed to get to the left side of it where the anchor was. I got my next cast where I wanted it, and once the bait got to depth, it got rocked right where I had expected. I love it when that happens... It felt heavy from the start, but she never really put up much of a fight at all. Couple big head shakes was about all I got, but when Chris scooped her up, we were all kinds of amped up as she filled up the net. She had some shoulders, and at the end of the day hit the scales at 5.25, just a touch short of Bill Deeds big fish. Daggum... Either way, it was a very nice fish, and much needed for me, as I feel like I haven't caught a biggun in way too long.

We had four in the boat at about 10am and figured it'd be easy to get our 5, but then Anna reared her naughty head once again. We struggled to get another keeper bite with a couple dinks here and there and finally after working that stretch over we ran down mid-lake area. Finally about 2:00pm Chris landed our limit fish on a drop-shot, but we were unable to upgrade on the two pecker-heads we had in our bag. We had the kicker, but were missing the two other 'average' fish that would have put us a good bit further up the standings. (less than a 1/2lb separated 10th to 4th)

In the end, we finished out in 10th, and earned back our entry and a little gas money. Not a single complaint on this weekend, as we had fun, caught fish, and had no real problems on the water or off. It's always great to fellowship with a bunch of fellow anglers, veterans and patriots alike.

Bravo Zulu to Larry and his whole clan. Dude just keeps putting together a fantastic tournament in support and honor of our veterans and supporters. His efficiency in this endeavor was awesome and just gets better each year. Outstanding job, and can't wait to do it again next year.
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 11-13-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Great report Erik! Congrats to you guys on a top 10 finish!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

nice Job Erik and Chris!
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Nice job fellas. Great to see you again and glad you took home some $$.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Awesome report Eric. Congratulations to you and chris. Chris is an awesome guy and fun to fish with.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper