Thread: TurkeyBowl for Squire - the deets

Default TurkeyBowl for Squire - the deets

First of all, big time shout out to Wayne Snow (Snowblind) for putting on this Tx and supplying the food. I will be trying to help out more with these events as well, from helping at weigh-in to contributing food/drinks going forward on those days I can participate.

Air temp on arrival at HighPoint was 32 degree's and the FOG was THICK. To my pleasant surprise, when I idled over to AnnaPoint after launching at High Point, having to use the GPS btw as visibility was like 30 yards, Wayne had most everyone ready to go and told us to use our judgement and lets go fishing at 7am!

I had brought with me about 16 rods and enough tackle for a weeklong event like I normally do, but in the end I only thru a jerkbait all day, a megabass 110 ito in the GoPro Blue color. That turned out to be a mistake as I should have also thrown something that dove a bit deeper to get to the bigger fish. More later.....

For those of you that are losing patience, I caught 5 fish, 3 of which measured for about 7lbs. I had 7 bites on the day.

With the fog, I certainly was not running anywhere, so I headed right out of Anna Point, actually hitting that first point in the Anna Point Cove. 3rd cast I get a 8 inch bass that I water skied back to the boat and he was not active at all.

Water temps were 54.

As I round the main point that leads into Pigeon, I made a parallel cast that sailed a bit out from the bank and I decided to go ahead and work it in anyway, thinking that with the fog and low light levels, the bass may be out more over the channel. Bang, sure enough, I get bit, this time by a 11.5 inch bruiser of a bass, but it did not fight very hard. I keep working that area and get hit again and get my first chunky 2.5 lber in the boat....wuup wuup...
    All the bites I had during the day hit on the pause. I was working the bait with a lot of slack and a 2-5 second pause between a jerk pause jerk jerk cadence were occasionally I'd mix a jerk jerk pause jerk jerk with a jerk pause 3 rapid jerks where I am trying to cause the Megabass to flip and do a 180.

Ok, keep working down the bank towards the back of Pigeon and get to the community hole/point, the huge house with a Dr. Who Red phone booth, waterfall and a gazebo out over the water. Off the gazebo is a point that tapers to 20 plus feet on either side and is typically mobbed on all Tx's. Why, because there are often nice fish there. I approached this point from inside the cut a bit and cast over open water and pulled towards the point, and then cast over the top of it and pulled it over the edge. When I got over the channel even with the point and cast parallel to the drop, bang I get a nice 3lber that pulled drag. Again, the fish was just there when I went to jerk the bait. The MB hooks are perfect for this as you just need to load the rod and that fish is hooked.

Ok, so got 2 in the box, its like 8am and I am enjoying the day, the fog has started to dissipate the deeper I get into Pigeon. The next stop was the cut just past the Gazebo on the right. I like this cut for a couple reasons. One, there is on the north side of the entrance to the cut a long saddleback point and hump that comes up to like 6ft that often has fish on it as the hump drops off into the channel. You can't jig or c-rig the hump as it has moss all over it, but that is a good thing. I have found this hump and point to be very consistent over the years for having fish, often times multiple. As I am working it and the first docks in the cut, I see a boat camped out on what was going to be my next stop, the narrowest part of Pigeon where there is a dock and concrete boat ramp that come out on a small flat that then drops off into a channel. The woodchucks have really put alot of brush all over this point and around the dock, 3 major piles. One just off the right side of the dock, one off the dock about 30ft and one off the end of the concrete ramp. I have caught quite a few nice fish on this piece of water over the years and everyone that fishes with me, I see there as well

Welp, this boat hammers this point for a good 30 minutes at all angles dragging the brush, the point and the ramp. I did not see if they caught anything, but they were all over it Its about 10 now and I only have the 2 in the box so I decide to move out of Pigeon and explore some other water that I have put on my Jerkbait rotation. The next stop was going to be downlake past the narrows, at the last cove on the right with the community dock with the sandy beach as the channel there is right up on the edge and with the cut makes a good JB spot. It was covered as it is a well known community point as well (southern point to Tall Pines Community Docks and ramp). So I roll up past the end and run up to the point just up from the PP, southern side of Tall Pines. It has the right slope for JB, but no love. Use the TM and power over to the Tall Pines shore with the monster houses. Off one of the docks that used to belong to a long time Lake Anna guide who passed a couple years back, there are some brushpiles on a flat just off a point. The point has buoys on it. So I got on top of the point and fan cast the brushpiles seeing if they had bass hovering over them. There was bait and loons diving nearby so I had some hopes....NADA

From there I tried to hit my spot at the mouth of Contrary (208 side were the new monster dock is as the channel runs up there and then across, so you have a channel swing and a feeding flat), but it was covered as in everybody knows all the spots on Lake Anna

So, from there, I head down the mouth of Marshall's and work that point towards the splits. As I get towards a cut, there is a couple big docks with lots of posts and I cast out 20 feet in front of one and bang, get a hit, fish on a second and it comes off....so I back off and hit it some more, move on down and circle my way back and bang catch him this time. Another 3ish joins the livewell.....So I figure I conservatively have 6-7.5 lbs. But now the powerlight is flashing as well as the livewell button for fill.....hmmmmm...never seen that before....so off with the main breaker and back on, and walla, livewell pump is running again.....I love boats....

Ok, next spot I wanted to run up the Pamunkey side just past the bridge as I wanted to hit docks near deep water, the fronts of them just past stubbs on the right. I like that little area from were the big green water slide and very steep ramp are to all the way to the point into Plentiful, another community spot. It was there, just about to Childs Cove that I found 2 huge pods of bait, one threadfin and one herring with Stripers thrashing thru. I had several instances where my jerkbait was 2 feet closer to me, but nothing hooked up. Had to be small striper, but it gets your heart going again.

I still need 2 more fish in the box and as I was getting near the dock on the point to Plentiful, young guy jumps up and literally runs out to the edge of the dock and starts casting to keep me away. So I obliged and put the TM on 100 and went around it to the to beginning of Plentiful. Water temps here were about 52. Nada....

Its starting to get around 1 and I decided to go back to where I caught fish in the AM to try and finish out the limit. I skipped the point at the mouth of Pigeon as I wanted to finish on it right before 3 (bad decision) and went straight for the Gazebo and the saddle back hump cuts. Turned out to be poor decision. Decided I had time to go deeper into Pigeon where the dock/brush/point at the narrow part is and hit it with the jerkbait...Nada. Then I decided to go deeper, all the way to where the channel swings close to shore and saw lots of things on the graph, but no takers. I by then have about 45 minutes and run out to the point near the marina and everything in that area is covered...smdh. run over into High Point Cove and idle around looking for bait using the graph, not much and then decide to zip over to the community docks at the end of the riprap (the big bluetop ones) and during the process forget to put my gloves on, so one goes in the net and I cant find my other. Since they were expensive (and a gift from a dear friend 31Airborne), I idled back my route looking for it and then just called it a day. Note: in unloading the boat I found the other glove under the seat. The 2017 Tritons have adjustable seats and thus space behind and under them....so no need to get a new pair

The ribs were awesome and after talking to the others, I realized I really should have thrown a 110+1 as well as the bigger fish were deeper. While I caught 5, only 3 measured, so the bigger fish were deeper. I was fishing the right spots, just not the right depth. If I had it to do over, I would have hit my spots with both until a better pattern emerged. I was getting bit enough to stay focused and it cost me.
    Last edited by Squire; 12-04-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Great report Steve. Nice only needing 1 rod on the deck.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Now that's the 'Squire-esque' report we love.

Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Now that's the 'Squire-esque' report we love.

Great work.
    Gotta help Wayne make the VAO great again.
    cheers,
    Steve

but the real question is..how many cigars did you smoke during the day!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    but the real question is..how many cigars did you smoke during the day!
    ZERO
    cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    ZERO
    Probably why you didn't 'open up' the mind and go deeper...you were out of kilter.

Awesome report buddy. Great seeing you again.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Great report Steve.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Great report