Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandy River Res - 11/27

Default Sandy River Res - 11/27

Late post...

This was my first outing ever at Sandy, and also my first real outing in the new to me kayak I recently bought. Figured I'd do something different, and simplify a bit with the yak, and it was nice. I look forward to more and more outings as we move into 2018, and as I get my whole family outfitted.

I started pretty early, but not quite safe-light early. There 3-4 trucks in the lot so even though I wasn't alone on the water, I never really saw anyone either. At one point I did converse with one guy, just asking him what water temps were. He said they were at 47.

I started out and stayed within sight of the ramp, and other than my Navionics app on my phone, I was fishing blind without any electronics. I fished along a steep drop first with a blade, bull-shad and jerkbait, but only got one bite. I landed a small dink on the blade in about 15-20 feet of water, and then the wind picked up... I let myself drift under the bridge and fished around there and along the riprap for a bit and picked up another small fish on a jackall jb.

Once I came back out to the main lake area, the wind was up pretty good, and I was relegated to fishing a couple points out of the wind with no success. I tried to fish some windier areas and points and put the anchor to work and learned how to use the anchor trolley, but even then, I was still slow drifting and dragging the anchor claw. I did have one decent fish chase my blade up (maybe - might have been suspended and just took up the chase) from about 30+ feet as I was quickly reeling it in. Probably 3-4lber that swiped at it just as I was quickly pulling out for my next cast...and that was it.

Despite only catching 2 fish, this was a really nice outing for me. As a kayak rookie, I learned a lot about how to handle my boat, the feel and balance of the boat, and lots of other things related to personal comfort like casting, paddling, tackle/rod storage etc. It would have been nice to have some eyes in the water with electronics, but the Navionics app was a big help in having a good idea of where/what I wanted to do before arriving.

I know there are some giants in there, and also in nearby Briery, and I can't wait for the spring when I can get out there, with my boys, and try our luck in the land of the giants. I sure love my 'big boat', but I can see how this style of fishing can be really incredible. Saw some cool things on the water the other day...and it was nice to just be alone with the peace and quiet.

Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Really nice report. I've also heard there are some giants in Sandy River, I hope you figure them out. I have a Ride 135 too, but it's a lot older and uglier haha.

nice looking rig, erik. you need to reach out to Wayne P before you go to Briery. he's the king there. be sure to ask about his wacky rig.

There is a bridge under that bridge at Sandy:

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    There is a bridge under that bridge at Sandy:

Yeah, I got hung up on some stuff under and around there. Lost a blade, and a DT-10. Grrrr.... Another learning experience is that it's harder to get your lure's back in a kayak than it is in a regular standing boat.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Yeah, I got hung up on some stuff under and around there. Lost a blade, and a DT-10. Grrrr.... Another learning experience is that it's harder to get your lure's back in a kayak than it is in a regular standing boat.
    There is rip-rap all the way to the bridge support on the right side and past the one on the left side. You can see it in the screen shot.

This is the other bridge that is across Sandy River:

I've never like fishing out of my kayak. I fly fish and trying to fly cast in the yak was too uncomfortable.

Nice Wildy, they make a solid boat. If you are ever looking for someone to tag along, drop me a line.
    Bill

Great report EK. Its a bit of a hike in a yak, but all the way in the back to the right in the Spring time was always my "go to" spot for spawning fish. Caught one of my best there on a t-rigged lizard.....7+ lbs.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast