Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tyers?

Default Any tyers?

How many fly tyers are there on the forum?
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.

I guess you could call me one. Haven't done much the past 4 years once my son got involved with high school bass fishing and we bought a boat.

You need to give those spinning rods a rest and get out your fly rods. ��������

I've tied a ton of flies and jigs. I don't fly fish though, most of my ties are for bass jigs or saltwater jigs and teasers.

Its been a lot of years since I have tied some flies, the trout flies would kill me - so dang small. Saltwater flies were a lot more fun.

I do some tying. I've actually caught trout on them but I often buy flies as well. One problem with tying is you have to buy a lot of materials for ONE PATTERN and then if you want to tie something else, buy a lot more. Ideally a club of some sort would seem ideal, often you just need a few hackles, etc. of a particular size or color.

Well, if we get enough interest, I'll try to find a middle ground where we could tie up some flies and tell some lies.

Hi I am an avid tier although my stuff is packed up now (recently relocated to Va / Richmond) for work. I started timing hair jigs for shops as a kid to make a buck ($) along with Trout flies at about 14. And am still tying over 40 years latter...............

Its been a great hobby,past time for me. Nothing like catching fish on something you made or a rod you built.

I agree Bill. I just moved to Virginia and all my tying stuff is still packed too.

Quote Originally Posted by red owl View Post
    I do some tying. I've actually caught trout on them but I often buy flies as well. One problem with tying is you have to buy a lot of materials for ONE PATTERN and then if you want to tie something else, buy a lot more. Ideally a club of some sort would seem ideal, often you just need a few hackles, etc. of a particular size or color.
    Materials are quite expensive at places like Gander or Bass Pro but take a little while and go into Jo-Ann's it's a ladies craft store I have found some unusual things to use at reasonable prices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast