Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Briery Creek 12/2

  1. #1

    Default Briery Creek 12/2

    Hi fellow anglers,

    I went up and fished Briery with my father in law this past Saturday 12/2. Water temps around mid-lake were in the 47-48 degree range, air temps got up to about 50 and it was cloudy. I caught one about 4 lbs in the first 20 minutes chasing shad on a Whopper Plopper. We had a couple bites on soft plastics later but didn't land any other fish. I also got hammered on a large swimbait but wasn't paying enough attention and didn't set the hook fast enough. Admittedly, we are both amateur fisherman and have a lot more small pond experience working structure and banks. so Briery is a challenge, but I love going there so I am determined to learn how to be a better fisherman and make these trips more productive.

    I saw 2 other boats on the water that day, and saw them both catch several bass. One cool story...a nice gentleman on a kayak told us that earlier in the morning he had landed 2 bass at the same time on his rig...I think it was some sort of small A-rig. One fish was about 2 lb, the other was 7.5.

    The other two boats, who obviously knew more than we did on how to fish Briery, were fishing in the main channel, which brings me to a question I was hoping you guys could answer for me. I believe these anglers were all using either hard or soft jerk-baits in about 20 ft of water. Are these fish laying on or near the bottom and hitting these suspending baits? Are the fish likely hanging out suspended in the water column? Or do you think these guys were setting up their rigs to be getting down closer to the bottom depth? I assume the bass are waiting below for schools of shad to pass over, but I really can't say for sure.

    Sorry for all the questions, but I am pretty new to bass fishing larger bodies of water and I still haven't really learned how to properly read my electronics to find the shad schools or bass on my screen (at least not in Briery with all the submerged timber showing on my graphs). Thanks for your help understanding in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Midlothian
    Posts
    12,565

    Default

    I have never fished Briery, hoping someone here can help you but that place has always sounded pretty wild, but also a little challenging.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Good questions above, and not sure how deep they were fishing, or what the other underwater structure/cover looked like either. That said, if they were fishing suspending JB's, the fish could have either been suspended or hanging on or close to the bottom. There's a ton of 'stuff' in Briery too, so the fish could have been suspended on submerged 'stuff'. Fish often eat JB's on the pause this time of year, so when it's just sitting, they are usually coming up to it.

    I saw a video (Tactical Bassin) not too long ago and Matt Allen was talking about how he visualizes the fish, slowly rising to his paused bait and sucking it in, and he was emphasizing the importance of the pause. Particularly on the more lethargic winter bass. Just that imagery now really helps me keep a bait in place if I think I'm around them.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    198

    Default

    At Briery, I use Flukes sometimes on weighted swimbait hooks and cover the whole water column near bass schools. Sometimes the Fluke size makes a difference. Same with lipless crankbaits. When they are keying on large shad, they won't take a small lure. I find then with my electronics and then try to catch them.

    Caught this one on a Fluke at Briery:


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Another Briery screen shot of a large shad school trying to use a tree as cover---------didn't work.
    I caught about a dozen of these bass with Super Flukes:


  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Good questions above, and not sure how deep they were fishing, or what the other underwater structure/cover looked like either. That said, if they were fishing suspending JB's, the fish could have either been suspended or hanging on or close to the bottom. There's a ton of 'stuff' in Briery too, so the fish could have been suspended on submerged 'stuff'. Fish often eat JB's on the pause this time of year, so when it's just sitting, they are usually coming up to it.

    I saw a video (Tactical Bassin) not too long ago and Matt Allen was talking about how he visualizes the fish, slowly rising to his paused bait and sucking it in, and he was emphasizing the importance of the pause. Particularly on the more lethargic winter bass. Just that imagery now really helps me keep a bait in place if I think I'm around them.
    Thanks for the tips and information gnfsnva! I think I watched that Tactical Bassin video as well...I have watched hours of those videos and have been trying to use their tips to help improve my fishing. It's been a lot tougher applying those lessons to a challenging fishery like Briery for me so far, but I think I am getting better. I can definitely credit that 4 lber on Saturday on the Whopper Plopper to watching those Tactical Bassin videos!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    At Briery, I use Flukes sometimes on weighted swimbait hooks and cover the whole water column near bass schools. Sometimes the Fluke size makes a difference. Same with lipless crankbaits. When they are keying on large shad, they won't take a small lure. I find then with my electronics and then try to catch them.

    Caught this one on a Fluke at Briery:

    Hi Wayne, thanks for the tips and for sharing those images. They are awesome! I also have to thank you for old posts of yours I have read on another forum about Briery. I would have still been beating the banks had I not read through your detailed posts.

    If you don't mind sharing, do you use mono or floro leaders at Briery on your rigs like the fluke rig mentioned above or your famous weedless wacky rig? I know I probably should for finesse types of presentations, but I admit that I have been tying straight to braid on all my rigs. In a place like Briery with so much wood cover, I am not really sure what the best way to set up my rigs without worrying about lots of break-offs.

    Thanks again Wayne!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jfrith View Post
    Hi Wayne, thanks for the tips and for sharing those images. They are awesome! I also have to thank you for old posts of yours I have read on another forum about Briery. I would have still been beating the banks had I not read through your detailed posts.

    If you don't mind sharing, do you use mono or floro leaders at Briery on your rigs like the fluke rig mentioned above or your famous weedless wacky rig? I know I probably should for finesse types of presentations, but I admit that I have been tying straight to braid on all my rigs. In a place like Briery with so much wood cover, I am not really sure what the best way to set up my rigs without worrying about lots of break-offs.

    Thanks again Wayne!
    Flukes, etc is straight fluorocarbon, need the density of a sinking line, 17'-20#

    Wacky rig is 40# superline and about 3' of 20# fluorocarbon leader for weight to offset the floating superline. Easier to break off 20# mono than #40 superline when hung up--if the hook doesn't straighten out first.

    Tx rig is straight superline 30#-60# depending on the tackle.

    The more weight you use, the more likely you won't get your presentation back from the tree gods, especially the pine trees.

    Only time I use nylon mono is for lipped crankbaits. Rarely do that at Briery, but know where I can with no issues.
    Been fishing there since it was opened to fishing in Jan 1989.

    Getting hung up is part of the game there. I've lost dozens of lipless crankbaits slow rolling them through the wood when that is the pattern.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Flukes, etc is straight fluorocarbon, need the density of a sinking line, 17'-20#

    Wacky rig is 40# superline and about 3' of 20# fluorocarbon leader for weight to offset the floating superline. Easier to break off 20# mono than #40 superline when hung up--if the hook doesn't straighten out first.

    Tx rig is straight superline 30#-60# depending on the tackle.

    The more weight you use, the more likely you won't get your presentation back from the tree gods, especially the pine trees.

    Only time I use nylon mono is for lipped crankbaits. Rarely do that at Briery, but know where I can with no issues.
    Been fishing there since it was opened to fishing in Jan 1989.

    Getting hung up is part of the game there. I've lost dozens of lipless crankbaits slow rolling them through the wood when that is the pattern.
    Thanks for the good advice Wayne, very much appreciated! Hope I run into you up there or at Sandy sometime. I know you will be the guy burning them up!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    825

    Default

    Good thread. Learned some stuff.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Briery creek 5/25
    By kickin bass in forum Fishing Other Virginia Lakes and Rivers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  2. 8-13-12 briery creek
    By bigcattracker in forum Fishing Other Virginia Lakes and Rivers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 10:05 AM
  3. 7/11/12 briery creek
    By bigcattracker in forum Fishing Other Virginia Lakes and Rivers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM
  4. 7-5-12 briery creek
    By bigcattracker in forum Fishing Other Virginia Lakes and Rivers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
  5. briery creek
    By 1badtacoma in forum Fishing Tips & Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •