Thread: The James River

Default The James River

Has anyone fished the James at Watkins Landing? The water looks quite fishable for my canoe. What fish would a person expect to catch?
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.

Haven't fished the James, but I imagine it fishes similar to the Upper Rapp where i do most of my river fishing. This time of year you could still hook into some good smallmouth bass if you find some deeper holes.

Watkins is fishable with a canoe, and it's a good area this time of year with some deeper holes that the bigger SMB will stack up in.

JayT has some good info on this area, but he's gone 'Salt-Life' on us and only shows up when he thinks he knows something...LOL

The river can have pretty good flow here, and you should be sure to check out the flow charts that are out there. From canoe, you could find yourself really working with the paddle, but there would be no rapids that you'd need to negotiate. Also, check the link below for numerous upper/middle James floats with point to point info. These points/routes run from the headwaters in the mountains, with the last takeout listed as Watkins. The river begins to slow down and deepen up around Watkins as you move down into the Bosher Dam pool. This is a good source to kick-start your research on various floats though.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterb...-upper-middle/
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Smallmouth mainly. Below Watkins is just slow moving water (Unless water is high), no riffles or anything. Go upriver a mile or so and you can find some riffles, ledges, rocks etc. to fish.

Thanks guys. I mostly just paddle around keeping an eye on my fishin Buddy and casting til my arm hurts.
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.