Thread: Claytor, 22 DEC 2017

Default Claytor, 22 DEC 2017

Hard to pass up on 59* in DEC so I linked up w/ GSniper (Charlie) and hit the local lake. Charlie is fishing in the winter series there tomorrow so today made for a good practice.

Put in at the state park. Saw 42.6* w/ gin clear water at launch. Amazing what a few cold nites will do to bring the water temp down. We headed uplake a bit and hit a series of mainlake points and bluffs w/ the FnF (Charlie) and a damiki rig (me). I score the first fish of the day at our first stop - a chunky 16" walleye. Charlie followed up shortly thereafter w/ a couple of small LMs. Didn't take long to score the first keeper - a solid spot, maybe 2 lbs. All of this occurred within maybe a 30-40 min span. Then it got a lil quiet. We made our way uplake, stopping at select points along the way. We both had a few swings-n-misses, we both had fish shake off on the way back to the boat. Charlie worked his usual magic w/ the FnF as I took Damiki 101. We finished the day w/ 2 keeper spots and one keeper SM.

Observations: 1) Water temps are steady at 43-45 all over. Water is clear all over. Lots of flotsam, to include some big stuff, in the midlake area. That was strange because we've had virtually no rain. 2) We marked lots of bait in the main lake channel and at the mouths of creeks/coves. Most of it was deep (30-40'). All of our bites came form areas where bait was present. 3) Did see some feeding activity but not enough to put a pattern to it. 4) Fish were holding between 10 and 30'. Some on breaks or points, some at the bottom of bluffs. Points were the most productive for us. 5) Natural chunk rock was better than clay or riprap. A dock on or near a mainlake point was money.

Those of you wanting to learn the FnF need to link up w/ Charlie. He has a really slick set-up using a standard spinning rig. No 10' whippy poles to manage. He was kind enough to let me use one of his rigs (I was 0 for 4). It's an art form, that's for sure. And it catches fish. Well, for Charlie anyway. A great way to start the holiday week. Thanks, Charlie!

Wish all a safe, healthy, happy holiday season and a prosperous 2018. Look forward to seeing y'all on the water.

" . . . and the word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory."

B
    Last edited by 31Airborne; 12-22-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Yep, was as nice a day as one could ask for in late December. Basically had the lake to ourselves other than a few striper fishermen. Will post another report after my tourney tomorrow.

Cool. Love that lake when the rec boaters retire for the winter.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Sounds like a decent day. Hopefully I've find some fun lively willing bass tomorrow
    2017 Ironman winner

So, this morning, perfect day to fish. Little windy, but warm, overcast. All excited, going to smash them. Put the boat in, no friggin trolling motor. 36v at the battery, 36v at the pedal, 36v at the top of motor, 36v at the bottom of the motor. Nothing. At all. Put it back on the truck. Came home. After paying entry fee of course. I sometimes joke about donating, but today I TRULY donated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
    So, this morning, perfect day to fish. Little windy, but warm, overcast. All excited, going to smash them. Put the boat in, no friggin trolling motor. 36v at the battery, 36v at the pedal, 36v at the top of motor, 36v at the bottom of the motor. Nothing. At all. Put it back on the truck. Came home. After paying entry fee of course. I sometimes joke about donating, but today I TRULY donated.
    I would have let you borrow my yak.
    Thank God For Rednecks

nice job out there guys, sorry to hear about the TM though.
    I'm about to play my Ace

Uggh - that sucks on the TM. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Wonder if the all the floaters came from the high winds we've had lately. Ruff waters washing up and pulling stuff in that's been deposited with receding waters?

Just a guess.

It wasn't my boat. Mines an old 2000 Triton. I was fishing with a guy in a 520z and it was his TM that took a dump. Not to wish bad luck on a buddy, but better his stuff than mine.