Thread: Pond/Kayak Report - Merry Christmas

Default Pond/Kayak Report - Merry Christmas

I've been on a kayak kick lately as I got one for myself back in October. The plan is to have everyone in our clan outfitted by Spring, so I relied on the grandparents to hook-up my boys for Christmas. They got their new yaks on Christmas Eve, and were actually very excited. Way more excited about them in their reactions than I had expected, so it was a really fun evening with that being the highlight. My oldest wanted to get on the water immediately, but it was like 8pm...so, 'No son, your crazy..." LOL.

Christmas day rolls around and after doing all the family stuff and giving all their presents at least a little bit of time, the request came that I knew was coming. They wanted to go out, and I just wanted to take a nap after running from kid to kid to kid all morning and afternoon fixing, playing with and setting up their gifts. Regardless, I obliged because that's what I generally do, and more importantly because I saw it as an opportunity for me to get a few casts in myself. Oh, and I could try out the new PFD my wife got me for Christmas.

I loaded up the 3 boat and 2 rods. 1 jerkbait rod and a crappie rig, knowing there should be some fish around one of the beaver huts on the lake. Texted my neighbor to make sure we could come down (private community lake) to his place to put in, and we were good to go.

Boys had a blast and were quite happy on the water. Cooper will have a little growing to do to really fit that thing, and Bryce was ready to go. Both will need some paddling and casting practice from that level, but we have plenty of time for that. We spent about 30-min on the water before they got cold and wanted to call it quits, but they both indicated they really enjoyed it, and look forward to much warmer weather. They also spent some jousting and knocking into each other...cuz that's what brothers would do. Like a couple of magnets they couldn't keep from bumping each other, and I'm grateful neither of them went in, which will surely happen at some point in the near future.

The crappie rod didn't produce, but the jerkbait did. I caught 3 Christmas Day bass, with two of them being decent fish. Good fun, and I know we'll have a blast as we move into the spring and we all have boats. Cody, he'll just ride with me for a year or two till he can manage his own.

Last edited by gnfsnva; 01-03-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

who are you and what have you done with Erik...two times fishing in one week?
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    who are you and what have you done with Erik...two times fishing in one week?
    Christmas time...and the wife is feeling generous, I guess. That, or she just wanted all of us out of the house so she could get a breather too. LOL
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org