Thread: Upper James Newbie Intro

Default Upper James Newbie Intro

Hi,

I just relocated to Richmond for work (construction field). I am an avid fisherman and appreciate any tips I receive on fishing the upper - middle james. I flyfish, BC and spin. Tie flys and hair jigs. Currently just wading but may add a canoe,kayak or alum river skiff of some sort once I get settled in.
    I like Smallies amongst other.

Managed to find Green Top - So nice to see a privately owned sporting store hanging in there.

Was an avid bird hunter as well back in the day...............

Thanks and Enjoy The Outdoors

Bill1227

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1227 View Post
    Hi,

I just relocated to Richmond for work (construction field). I am an avid fisherman and appreciate any tips I receive on fishing the upper - middle james. I flyfish, BC and spin. Tie flys and hair jigs. Currently just wading but may add a canoe,kayak or alum river skiff of some sort once I get settled in.
    I like Smallies amongst other.

Managed to find Green Top - So nice to see a privately owned sporting store hanging in there.

Was an avid bird hunter as well back in the day...............

Thanks and Enjoy The Outdoors

Bill1227
    Welcome aboard Bill. Hope to see you at a VAO Tx.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Welcome Bill.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

welcome aboard, bill. reach out to gnfsnva (Erik). he recently did a float on the upper james, has the most recent info on it.

Welcome to the site Bill, and welcome to VA. Glad you found Greentop, as they are good folks, and withstood the incoming advance of BPS and a Gander Mountain, and ultimately grew while Gander went out of business, then expanded into their old space.

I just recently did an UJ float, but by no means am I an expert in the UJ or other smaller water stuff of western VA. That said, take real good look around the site and you'll find a load of info.

Another fella, Yooper, is new to VA and the site as well and he's an avid fly-guy.

Thanks Everyone !

Welcome to the site Bill. Yes, I am new to Virginia. I'm over in Surry county. Here, I am a fish out of water...being a trout fly fisher. I'll be spending a lot of time fishing the waters west of I-81. The guys on this site have been extremely helpful to me. My first love is trout but there is nothing like a smallie on a fly rod. I like to wade fish but my first choice is stillwater with my canoe or float tube. I also have a kayak but I'm not a big fan of fishing out of it. I also tie my own flies. I need to learn to tie bass and musky flies. In fact, I'd like to do some group tying next winter. Maybe after the fall when fishing slows down I try to organize a Tie & Lie in the Richmond area.

Like you, I'm learning the rivers and lakes. I've been burning up the internet searching the many sites and the state fishing website for as much info I can find. Google maps is a invaluable tool in finding places to fish. I'm really excited about fishing the James. The Nottaway River is also a good bass water. With all the rain we've had this spring, I'm assuming most of the rivers aren't fishable yet. I've already had my guided fishing trip postponed until May.

Send me a pm if you want. Maybe we could wet a line sometime.

Russ