Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold weather fishing - a few reminders

Quote Originally Posted by Dominion Tackle View Post
    Great advice Brian. I would like to add two things. I see a lot of guys who just run their wrist through a loop in the kill-switch cord or wrap it around their leg. If you are thrown overboard, it will most likely come off and be lost. Then if you do get back in the boat, you will not be able to start the motor. Most PFD's have a ring for this purpose and most kill-switch cords have a snap. Used them!
    Excellent advice. I have a spare kill switch cord in the glovebox, cheap insurance against that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    Great post 31. One thing I will recommend for a base layer is UA Cold Gear. That stuff retains your heat well. I will wear the tops and bottom, a pair of jeans, a thin sweatshirt and a hoodie, then my Red Head insulated parka and bibs (Bone Dry). The Red Head socks are very warm also. A UA head cover and a thick neck gator gets it done for me. Also I recently purchased a pair of windproof gloves from Cabelas. They have the open fingers but also a mitten that you can pin out of the way when fishing and flip over your fingers when running. They are currently on sale for $24. Fishing in the cold is tough but can be a lot of fun if your prepared to handle the cold.

Those kind of mittens really do the job. I received a pair of either "Coleman" or "Igloo" as a Christmas gift one year from my mother. I remember thinking that they probably would be good for just walking to get the mail. I was really wrong. My hands stay very comfortable in them. I wear them while paddling the yak and slip them off when I'm reading to cast. The only cold weather fishing I do is with a jig or lipless jerk bait.

Anyone have recommendations as to footwear? I put on a pair of hunting boots I bought several years ago with the new insulation in them. I don't recall the brand...I think they are Rocky. I bought a pair of waterproof Keen Brixen Lows before Christmas. They are extremely warm too, but aren't suitable for launching a Yak in cold weather. They might make a good cold weather bass boat shoe. The grip on the sole is excellent.
    Thank God For Rednecks

FYI: 40 to 50 degree water temp = 30 to 60 minutes until hypothermia renders you unconscious. 32 to 40 degrees = under 15 minutes.

I have a pair of Columbia boots (600g insulation). Wind and water proof.

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    FYI: 40 to 50 degree water temp = 30 to 60 minutes until hypothermia renders you unconscious. 32 to 40 degrees = under 15 minutes.
    I did not go fishing past October this year. In years past, i quit after it sunk into me how cold the water and air had gotten. I doubt i would surivive a spill in the drink when alone.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12