Thread: Report: Jan 13, 14, 15th

Default Report: Jan 13, 14, 15th

Hit the water this weekend despite the COLD. Plan was to try uplake, that was dashed when we found ice above the bridges. Changed tactics and looked for fish from the splits and up. All day saturday had trouble marking fish even with birds. Gave up with a skunk.

On the 14th went out at dawn to try dike 3... missed the north wind part of the forecast and after popping a few punks on alabama rigs on the 20’ flats out from the dike, gave up and wnet home to de-ice the boat and fishermen.

On the 15th went back to the 208 and got advice from a fellow at the marina that he’d been working the area just south of the 208 for keepers, so we went there first and almost immediately marked a school. Deployed alabama and swimbait lines and proceeded to find several schools over the next 3 hours to limit out by 10:30! Whoever that was at the marina, i owe him beer!

Tough fishin’ but sure beat work today!!!

Nice. Way to stay with it. This is a classic lesson in making adjustments and the importance of TOW. Yep, I'd say at least a beer.

Good report and glad you were able to get into some fish! Good job!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Thanks for the report and glad you got on fish! How deep were you pulling the rigs if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Thanks for the report and glad you got on fish! How deep were you pulling the rigs if you don't mind me asking?
    Seems i left out a key piece of information! wasn't on purpose!
    Almost every fish we marked was on the 30-40' transition or just onto the 40' flat. a fair bit deeper than i'd expected when we started out on Saturday.

Do you pull the arigs on a planner or how do you set the depths with the arig?
    I'm about to play my Ace

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Do you pull the arigs on a planner or how do you set the depths with the arig?

Good question, I'd be curious to hear as well. I'm surprised they're hitting trolled a-rigs this time of year. May have to adjust my weekend plans.... lol. Personally I troll Cpt Macks style rigs with 3/8 oz jigs/bucktails and add snap weights to the main line if needed to get deeper than 20'.

I rigged the a-rigs on a 36” leader behind a 6oz. Sinker. At these speeds was able to see the a-rig on sonar to set the depth as the sinker kept it fairly vertical.