Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float times

Default Float times

I read a lot about float trips and mileage but never about how long these trips take from point to point. I'm thinking of the upper Nottoway and the upper James. Im really itching to get my canoe.
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.

Water level can make a huge difference in the time to float a section. I floated a section when the water was high and it took three hours, the next time I did it, I got caught in the dark because the water was low and it took almost six hours to do the same trip.

There are gaging stations on most rivers that will give you an idea of what the water flow will be ( https://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/rt ). Click on the dots on the map for info on the river of your choice. Here is a station on the Nottaway https://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv?site_no=02047370.

Thanks for info.

Tight lines!

I can provide info on the New, but the James and Nottoway aren't my stomping grounds.

Bruce Ingram wrote a James River guide to floating and fishing it. I own a copy. It's very good. You can probably find it online or at your local Barnes and Noble.

Simply floating a trip is a lot different than fishing it. Fishing it can add on another hour or two if not three.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Thanks for the info. I ordered and just received my copies. I ordered two of his books and then found out that one was the 2nd edition and the other was the 3rd edition. Wasted my money on the 2nd. I also ordered a book about fishing the Shenandoah. Good book!

Check out some of the various outfitters out there that rent/guide on the James. They will list approximate float times and/or be able to give you some guidance via phone or email.

Here's one that does single and multi-day trips on the upper james. I used this site for guidance when planning a trip previously - https://canoevirginia.net/
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 02-12-2018 at 02:08 PM.

I would venture to say that if you went this week......it would be a rather fast float trip.....lol
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Yeah, I'd say tomorrow you could put in at the head of the James in Iron Gate and be in Richmond before dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    Thanks for the info. I ordered and just received my copies. I ordered two of his books and then found out that one was the 2nd edition and the other was the 3rd edition. Wasted my money on the 2nd. I also ordered a book about fishing the Shenandoah. Good book!
    What was the name of the book you got about the Shenandoah?
    I'm about to play my Ace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast