Thread: Upper P. Looking for advise from a master

Default Upper P. Looking for advise from a master

Hey Guys. I’d like to get some info on fishing the upper Potomac. My brother just moved back to the area so I’d like to plan a visit and get several days of fishing in. I’ve spent time on the Lower P. through town but the Upper is unexplored for me …other than some wading excursions when I was younger.

I’ll be coming from the Atlanta Area possibly in August or mid September. My local river is the Chattahoochee; south of Lanier dam, North of Morgan Falls. I have been fishing out of a G3 1860 CCJ 90/65 for the last decade. There is currently a 24v/70# minnkota i-pilot on the bow.

I have researched plenty on the “where” and I think I’d like to spend several days fishing sections from Algonkian Ramp to just south of Knoxville Falls. My research shows this is “doable” if the gauge at POR at is between .75 and 3 ft. The plan is to motor up on various sections and work my way back. Just from my reading, it sounds like north of brunswick is my kind of water.

I am not opposed to hiring a guide for a day and being up front of my intentions to get some time on the water if needed to manage the more dicey areas if this is what’s recommended. I can also reschedule for earlier in the year (April) if that makes a big difference for water temps, levels or vegitation.

So I have a few questions that hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer.
    Will low water levels likely be an issue in late summer?
    Will grass be an issue for the jet? Does it mat the surface or is it tight to the bottom?
    Hotels that may be convenient to charging batteries.
    Is my entire plan stupid with no experience on this river?

I was looking to get Ken Penrods book but Amazon has it listed for $60. Worth it?

Thanks in advance.

KM

Name:  1-IMGP0009.1.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  152.1 KB

Welcome to NOVA!

First of all, buy the Penrod book. Some aspects of it are dated (because the river changes year to year) but the basic knowledge he imparts on the Potomac is ageless. Secondly, buy the GMCO map of the Potomac. All of the tackle shops around here will have them. You can also order them on line.

You'll find the upper Potomac fishes a lot like the Hooch. Maybe a little shallower and rockier but tons of good holes. You'll catch LM throughout but the upper reaches are primarily SM waters. Grass is everywhere in the river. Doesn't seem to affect jetboat operations because they tear-ass up and down it all the time. Think you need to more attuned to the rocks. We're in a drought now (have been for a couple years). I haven't been above the tidal break on the Potomac so I don't know what it looks like but all of the other tidal rivers' upper reaches are low. By 2-3' in some places. This is where that GMCO map will help you - use it to mark/track shallow water rocks and ledges.

You'll wanna do some internet searches on lodging. There are places on the river but I don't know anything about how friendly they are to boaters. Sterling, Leesburg, and Point of Rocks are good places to start. Lots of guides/businesses who do float trips on the upper Potomac. They might be a better of lodging options.

You'll recall from your tidal Potomac trips that the tidal break is ~TR Island. Be sure to check DC/MD/VA licensing requirements. It gets a lil goofy once you approach DC. Also check boater safety training requirements. That can be done online.

2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Welcome to NOVA!

First of all, buy the Penrod book. Some aspects of it are dated (because the river changes year to year) but the basic knowledge he imparts on the Potomac is ageless. Secondly, buy the GMCO map of the Potomac. All of the tackle shops around here will have them. You can also order them on line.

You'll find the upper Potomac fishes a lot like the Hooch. Maybe a little shallower and rockier but tons of good holes. You'll catch LM throughout but the upper reaches are primarily SM waters. Grass is everywhere in the river. Doesn't seem to affect jetboat operations because they tear-ass up and down it all the time. Think you need to more attuned to the rocks. We're in a drought now (have been for a couple years). I haven't been above the tidal break on the Potomac so I don't know what it looks like but all of the other tidal rivers' upper reaches are low. By 2-3' in some places. This is where that GMCO map will help you - use it to mark/track shallow water rocks and ledges.

You'll wanna do some internet searches on lodging. There are places on the river but I don't know anything about how friendly they are to boaters. Sterling, Leesburg, and Point of Rocks are good places to start. Lots of guides/businesses who do float trips on the upper Potomac. They might be a better of lodging options.

You'll recall from your tidal Potomac trips that the tidal break is ~TR Island. Be sure to check DC/MD/VA licensing requirements. It gets a lil goofy once you approach DC. Also check boater safety training requirements. That can be done online.
    Thank you sir. Very useful info. I appreciate it. I purchased the GMCO map today. I'll be looking for the Penrod book next.

@ dirtman, I'll keep their info handy. Thanks to you as well.

Default Fishing The Upper Potomac River

Hello,
    If your interested in knowing more about the Upper Potomac River please contact me (Jeff Greene) at your earliest convenience. I own and operate Shallow Water Fishing Adventures Guide Service. My contact information is 301-820-5378 and my email is shallowwaterfishingadventures@gmail.com.

Shoulda mentioned this in the first reply - sorry, senior moment. Google Earth can be an invaluable asset for times like this. It'll give you a ~near real time visual of those tight or suspect areas you see on the map. It's also a great way to survey potential launch sites/parking areas.

I lived in Roswell when I was a kid. Spent many hours on the Hooch and Allatoona. We used tubes back in the day. I suppose canoes and 'yaks were around but the tube worked just fine for us.

I fish from whites ferry to Brunswick. I recommend a landing on the md side called Landers. I would put in there and head up river. Brunswick is only a few miles up river. If its low i would go to whites ferry. Theres lots of deeper water at whites ferry and fairly easy running.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Shoulda mentioned this in the first reply - sorry, senior moment. Google Earth can be an invaluable asset for times like this. It'll give you a ~near real time visual of those tight or suspect areas you see on the map. It's also a great way to survey potential launch sites/parking areas.

I lived in Roswell when I was a kid. Spent many hours on the Hooch and Allatoona. We used tubes back in the day. I suppose canoes and 'yaks were around but the tube worked just fine for us.
    Yes....Google Earth and Bing... both great resources. We take vacations don to Homosassa Fl to chase reds. The satellite images are very useful there as well.
    I appreciate your making relevance to the hooch. It helps put things in perspective. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Water Fishing Adv View Post
    Hello,
    If your interested in knowing more about the Upper Potomac River please contact me (Jeff Greene) at your earliest convenience. I own and operate Shallow Water Fishing Adventures Guide Service. My contact information is 301-820-5378 and my email is shallowwaterfishingadventures@gmail.com.
    Yes sir. I will give you a call in the coming weeks. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by robbell View Post
    I fish from whites ferry to Brunswick. I recommend a landing on the md side called Landers. I would put in there and head up river. Brunswick is only a few miles up river. If its low i would go to whites ferry. Theres lots of deeper water at whites ferry and fairly easy running.
    Thanks. I think landers north is where I'd like to focus.