Thread: Claytor Lake - Guide

Default Claytor Lake - Guide

Was wondering if anyone knows of a Professional Guide for Claytor Lake. I'm thinking it might be a good way to jump start my season this March-April.

http://www.virginia-outdoors.com/claytorlake.html

There's a short list of guides on this link. I personally have not heard anything about any of them but they're advertising their services in a number of forums.

Honestly, I think you'll find enuff info in the reports on Claytor right here to help you plan your trips. The lake isn't that big and the GMCO map has a ton of detail. About the only time I'd consider a guide would be if I were to run up into the river. A little map study, a little homework here, and a little TOW will put you in a good place on Claytor. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    http://www.virginia-outdoors.com/claytorlake.html

There's a short list of guides on this link. I personally have not heard anything about any of them but they're advertising their services in a number of forums.

Honestly, I think you'll find enuff info in the reports on Claytor right here to help you plan your trips. The lake isn't that big and the GMCO map has a ton of detail. About the only time I'd consider a guide would be if I were to run up into the river. A little map study, a little homework here, and a little TOW will put you in a good place on Claytor. Just my 2 cents.
    I have not had much luck using the normal tactics on Claytor. A good day for me is a half dozen or so dinks, usually spots. Most of the time I'm pitching docks or downed timber.

I'd like to figure out a little more about fishing points and fishing deep structure for bigger fish.

There are plenty of people who will gladly take your money to show you around Claytor. I happen to think you can accomplish your goal without having to pay someone.

You nailed part of it above - fishing points and deep[er] structure/cover. A little time over a map and then on the water will direct you to a good assortment these kinds of target areas. Your electronix will tell you whether the bait and predator fish are there. The lake is not difficult to navigate so having someone show you the channels, etc isn't required. You can develop your own collection of spots by keying on a simple list of features: rock is better than clay or sand, bluffs, and outside edges of channel swings are better than inside edges. There's wood (fallen and planted) everywhere in this little lake so don't worry about finding it. In half a day you can easily chart and scan every main lake point on Claytor from the 672 bridge to the dam.

The thing you need to be most wary of is expectations - just because you pay someone to show you a few spots on one trip doesn't guarantee the fish will hold on those spots every time you go out. Time accumulated over several trips will give you an assortment of spots for all weather conditions, times of year, and water conditions. That's worth something.

I can teach you Claytor in three sentences. Go down 81 until you see the exit for Claytor Lake. Keep going until you see signs for Smith Mountain Lake. Turn Right.

Or if you happen to be going the other way, turn Left when you see signs for South Holston.

I've caught some big fish in Claytor....some.

I have been skunked more often than not. I see people pounding those docks all the time without much success. She's a narrow deep lake with these well intentioned hippy folk always removing the good timber from the shallows and killing all the grass. If you see a hippy out there, chase em off with an oar.

I've caught some bigguns in the fall off of points and had a few shake off as well. Lay downs can also be productive at times.

I remember paying a guide around Hilton Head for redfish. He took us to a bunch of places and it was a slow day. I managed one little redfish. He was a nice guy but I took nothing away from that trip. I think he purposely ran us in different directions to keep us from remembering how to get to the spots.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Probably just need to go ahead and put some snakehead in there because #1 they are really fun to catch, and #2 once the hippies find out they are there, they'll be too scared to even put a toe in the water. Grass and timber will come back and the whole place will take off...

Wooh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Probably just need to go ahead and put some snakehead in there because #1 they are really fun to catch, and #2 once the hippies find out they are there, they'll be too scared to even put a toe in the water. Grass and timber will come back and the whole place will take off...

Wooh!!!
    When there was grass, big largemouth were to be had. I snagged a lunker in dirty water on a big spinnerbait on a Memorial Day weekend.

Ill travel for snakehead. Claytor can return to greatness with better management.
    Thank God For Rednecks