Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Day Tournament

Default Trump's Day Tournament

First, I would like to thank Mr. Snow for putting on this get together and thus providing me with a reason to miss a day of work. Wayne has certainly worked hard to keep the VAO boat afloat and it is much appreciated!!

I started my morning between 208 and the splits just checking random areas hoping to get some feed back from a fish or two as to what the fish were up to. With the recent warmer weather, rising water and longer days I knew some fish would be on the move with procreation in mind but the water was still fairly cold so I had an open mind. The first hour and half did not yield a single bite until I marked a few fish in Pigeon that were holding in 12'. At this point I had thrown a jerk bait, under-spin and three different crank baits without a sniff, so i dropped the silver buddy down and picked up my first fish. This fish was 12.5" long and I almost threw him back in the water but decided instead to drop it in the live-well, after all, this is Anna and you just never know. The color of this fish, or lack of color I should say motivated my to head down lake to clearer water. My thought was I would abandon above 208 until after noon hoping the sun would show itself and then be able to catch a few of the pasty colored murky water fish(murky is a relative term for this area of Anna).

I worked my way down lake still struggling to catch anything but around 10:30 I remembered a rock pile/drop-off I had found near the dam and decided to run straight to it. I started with the jerk bait but never had a sniff so I pulled out the shaky head, smeared it with smelly jelly and crossed my fingers. Before I ever moved the shaky head a fish was on it, I quickly got it in the boat and new there was another fish there as there often is when one strikes so abruptly. The first shaky head fish went around 3 pounds and two casts later I boated another on the shaky head that weighed around 2 3/4 pounds. I worked this area for quite a while throwing various baits and eventually boated another fish that weighed around 2 pounds also on the shaky head. When I find an area that I know has some fish holding on it I like to throw as many baits as possible in the area to get a sense for what they are keying on or might react to, well upon throwing everything but the kitchen sink I didn't have a whole lot of data work with.

After leaving the dam area I worked my way up lake hitting any and everything looking for number five but it was really a struggle to get a bite. I stopped in Rockland on my way up lake and got a bite on the jerk bait but the fish pulled off after being hooked for a second. This told me they were likely swiping at the jerk bait which proved to be true later. Around 1:00 I decided to try a flat over near Dike 1 that had some rubble on it. On my fifth cast I got a very aggressive strike on the jerk bait and knew right away it was a good fish. After a five minute fight the fish was in the boat and looked to weigh around 6.5 pounds, limit in the boat! This fish was hooked on the outside of the mouth and I felt very lucky to have landed it. I also felt fortunate to have gotten the bite because I had never really fished this area or the spot down near the dam where I caught fish earlier. Again I tried an array of baits but was unable to get a bite.

From here I worked my way back up lake hoping the fish above 208 would decide to play but the struggle was still in full effect. Around 1:30 a little voice told me to try an area in the back of Ware Creek and it paid of with one fish around 4.5 pounds which also came on the jerkbait. It was apparent from way the fish pulled that it was foul hooked and when I netted it I discovered it was actually hooked on top of the head, gotta love those Megabass out-barb hooks! The good news at this point was that I would able to get rid of the 12.5" fish I had caught early in the morning.

I spent the rest of the day back tracking and trying to get another bite but it just wasn't meant to be. At the scales I discovered I had 19 pounds which was good for the win on this day. I think the lucky stars were aligned in my direction on this day since I only caught 6 fish but was able to get two solid fish which were both landed but neither hooked inside the mouth.

It was good to see the VAO guys and I look forward to some of the warmer weather events this year!
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Great report Nate....and congrats again.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Dang dude....

Nice report Nate. I love the way you think these things thru....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Nice report Nate, good job pulling it together
    2017 Ironman winner

a great bag of fish in tuff conditions. nice work, Nate.

Nice job Nate!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Solid report solid day. Congrats on the win!

Awesome job! Fighting a big fish on a jerkbait is always scary, you never know how well they're hooked.

Great report Nate and nice job catching quality fish.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast