Thread: Spring Fling Tournament - Just Winging It

Default Spring Fling Tournament - Just Winging It

Fished the Spring Fling on Saturday and while I didn't do particularly well overall, I came away satisfied with the day. I haven't been on the lake for bass since November, so I was really just winging it (as I do most of the time on LKA), and thus decided to go solo for the day. Not gonna lie, the peace and quiet on the day was pretty nice.

I was hoping water temps would have been a bit warmer, but as I had heard, it was right in the 46-47 range, so the jerkbait got the majority of the work. I started in Pigeon on some of the community points and after about an hour I hooked up on my first bite on the jerkbait. Water there was slightly stained to what I'm used to seeing in that area. I tossed other items as well, but no luck on them in the earlier parts of the day. I fished around in Mitchells a bit then ventured back into Contrary a bit and found the water pretty stained. I fished a couple points I've hit in the past and I picked up #2, again on the jerkbait. I moved further down to some cleaner water, and just wasn't feeling it for some reason. Not sure what time it was at this point, but I was getting antsy and decided to run up the lake a bit.

I stopped at Rose Valley and it was much dirtier than down lower, and I was beginning to get frustrated not being sure of what to do. At that point, I totally shifted gears. I got off the JB and put on a black/blue jig and said I would go flip some dirty stuff. With the water having come back up, I thought maybe some fish would push up to shallower cover and if I put a jig in their face they'd eat it. About 5-10 flips into my next stop with about 6" visibility, I got that 'thump'. Set the hook and it was game on with a solid 4.71 getting a really sloppy boat flip. Fortunately, my decision was justified, and I was feeling pretty good on that one. I hung around in the dirty stuff for a while, with no more luck. I also wasted a good bit of time trying to re-route a broken TM rope while I was up there. Again, glad I was by myself...

About an hour or so left I went back to Contrary to flip the jig in the dirty water, and again no luck. With a few minutes left I bumped up lake to a small brush-pile I had marked some time ago. It's only one of maybe 2 or 3 I have marked on the whole lake, but for the 3rd time I've pulled up on it, it's produced. #4 was in the boat on a drop-shot, and that was all she wrote. I finished with a scant 9.89, but that thump and head-shake of the 4.71 really made the day for me. Overall, I guess fishing solo and being 1-bite out of the top-10 with the hammers that were there, isn't too bad??? (At least that's what I'll keep telling myself - looks like I was at 12th overall)

I lost my favorite hat, a ski glove and broke a TM rope, so I had some other challenges on the day too, but at least I didn't stick a hook in me. LOL.

Great job to Wayne and all the others involved. This was a fun event, and fun to catch up with some of the old VAO regulars. Those ribs and that BBQ were awesome, and I'll make it a point to get to any event where Wayne's cooking. Thanks, brotha. #mvaoga

Last edited by gnfsnva; 03-12-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Nice work Erik, just one solid jig fish from being in the money.

Nice Job Erik...it is fun fishing alone.....I have really starting to like it.....keeps you focused and on point...
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Great report. I never would have even thought to go flip shallow.

Congrats! Fishing solo sure is different
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

Nice job Erik! get you a G force handle
    I'm about to play my Ace

Nice fish Erik and thanks for sharing. You did well.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Good job fishing solo Ek! One more bite... Nice jig fish also!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Nice job fella.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Not bad for wingin it Erik, very nicely done!!!
    </div>