Thread: Heading to Anna...

Default Heading to Anna...

I am heading to Anna with a friend for a 5 day fishing trip starting Mar. 19th. I wonder if anyone can give a gut analysis as to what to expect as far as water temperature. I have checked the weather reports and they don't look great but they are better than what I saw a week ago. Have fished Anna before at the same time of year but this time it looks different. Have never had much luck with the dirty end and fished mostly the lower clear water. The wather up here in PA is COLD! I wonder if this time it is time to fish the upper part of the lake. Any input is appreciated.

TIA

Dan

Dont worry about water temps. Cover water and fish your favorite places and you will do well. Jerk baits and swim baits are your main producers right now. The pre-spawn feeding is in full swing and the bite is good.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

pretty sure the water is mid to high 40's but as Jim said...they be chewing...good luck
    I'm about to play my Ace

If you've got 5-days, you can cover an awful lot of water from one end to the other. Sounds like you've done it, but read back thru a lot of these reports for similar times and go from there.

Good luck, and be sure to report back on how things go.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ddevine View Post
    I am heading to Anna with a friend for a 5 day fishing trip starting Mar. 19th. I wonder if anyone can give a gut analysis as to what to expect as far as water temperature. I have checked the weather reports and they don't look great but they are better than what I saw a week ago. Have fished Anna before at the same time of year but this time it looks different. Have never had much luck with the dirty end and fished mostly the lower clear water. The wather up here in PA is COLD! I wonder if this time it is time to fish the upper part of the lake. Any input is appreciated.

TIA

Dan
    Water temps and lake levels are covered here and updated daily. https://www.dominionenergy.com/about...tment-facility

Most of the Tx's are being won in the middle 2 thirds of the lake on JB, Arig, Jig, Dropshot and shakeyhead and crig'd flukes/dshads. I'd even consider throwing a donkey rig now too (double fluke rig). Do not just lock in on a single jerkbait, vary the size and depth. Some days they are tight to steep rocky banks and you need to bang the JB into the rocks and cast parallel, other times (sun/wind) they are out away from and the traditional cast and 1/2 off a 45 degree bank is good. There are fish on brushpiles, but rock is more of a key right now. I am throwing Megabass 110's, 110+1's and the best colors have been GoPro Blue and Wagasagi (green back) and Bevyshads in Ghost minnow.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thanks Jim! We were just about ready to bag it a few days ago. Water temps and weather had me worried. Nothing we can do about the weather but sit in the cabin and watch TeeVee with a couple of brownies if it gets too wet out there.

Aaron thanks for the water temp report. Don’t usually fish that cold a water. In the past during this same timeframe it was mid 50’s or more. I fish some 40 degree water here at home every once in a while. Will see how this goes.

Thanks Erik, yes we are old timers and fished a few tournaments there in our younger days. Went out with Wayne Olson a couple of times and did the brush pile run. Unfortunately, it seems those piles are gone over the years so with the 5 days we are going to do some searching again. Most of our fishing there has been Carolina Rigs on points and brush piles.

And Steve, thanks for the link to the water temps. Will keep and eye on them. Have a bunch of weight modified Rattlin Rouges in different sizes, some bevy shads and a few Staycees already packed! Now if old shoulders can hold up jerking for 5 days! Nice for once in my life I don’t have to run around days before the tournament looking for baits. I have most of your recommendations already packed. I appreciate your help.

Thanks everyone, have been lurking on this site for years every time I went to Anna. Though it was time to fess up, support it financially and make a post. Real nice bunch of fellas on her with great information!

All the best and I will report back!

Dan