Thread: Kerr 16-17th. FOM Va East.

Default Kerr 16-17th. FOM Va East.

Kerr VA East FOM. March 16-17
    A tale of miss fortune and perseverance.

The plan for Jim Sutton and I was to pre-fish on Thursday and Friday. Jims father turned ill and Jim had to fly home on Thursday. Keep him in your prayers please. His father isnít doing well and going into hospice.

Of course my boat has a blown motor, so my good friend Eric Anderson was kind enough to trust me with his; a nice 19 foot Phoenix. I met him early Friday morning and then preceded to kerr. Got on the water about 0930 ish and began my search. I focused and fished all of the pockets and main lake points from goats island down to where the power lines cross the lake. My efforts produced one small fish. That told me that on tx day Iíd need to head to the back of some good creeks I know. So with that, I headed back up and made a pass on the old 58 bridge with a jerk bait. I caught 6 bass averaging 2 to 2-1/2 pounds in about 40 minutes. No brainer; start on the bridge in the morning and then head to the backs of major creeks.
    Sat morning; made a call to the corps of engineers to find out when theyíd be pulling water. Answer; they werenít going to and that equals a harder bite. So first stop the bridge. Fished it with other anglers and managed to catch one keeper in two hours. Decided it was time to move. Went to crank up and nothing. Stone dead cranking battery. Tried to jump it and that didnít work either. So, my new mission, conserve what power I had left for the tilt and trim, and periodically use of the live well pumps. Depth finders off!
    Erics boat has a 70 pound, 24 volt trolling motor, a far cry from my 36 V, 112, lol, therefore Iíd have to be cautious there too.
    Bottom line, I fished back and forth on the bridge for the next 4-1/2 hours on the lowest possible setting, and managed to pick off 3 more fish. The were definitely smaller size than on Friday for sure. About 1:30 I painfully worked my way back to the ramp and that took a good hour on that low setting; UGH!
    Weighed in 7 plus pounds for a 14th place finish out of 33 boats. Iíll take it.

Its not always what you see, but what you donít see that tells you where the pattern is. I knew there would be a large BFL going out of nut bush, and a large club going out of rudds creek. There are always multiple other tournaments this time of year around the lake and a lot of the elite 70 teams were on kerr practicing too. With all of that activity, I hardly seen any other boats on main lake or up lake. That in itself told me the pattern was in the creeks and most likely towards the back of em. Unfortunately, I wasnít able to work that pattern this time. Oh well, maybe next time.

See ya on the water my friends, here and hopefully in heaven too!
    God bless you and love you.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

great job of grinding it out Jim with less than ideal circumstances!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Way to stick with it Jim under the conditions you had to deal with!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Well that stinks... Way to hang though

Tough way to spend a day Jim! glad you toughed it out and made it count for what you were delt. Good seeing you!
    </div>

Looks like only 6 or 7 people weighed a limit at the BFL. That's some tough fishing. I'd say you did great given the circumstances!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 2 View Post
    Looks like only 6 or 7 people weighed a limit at the BFL. That's some tough fishing. I'd say you did great given the circumstances!
    Wow. That is some tough fishing.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper