Thread: Striper fishing 3/31

Default Striper fishing 3/31

My dad and I pulled gizzard shad and a couple herring behind planer boards. We started in Terry's Run fishing upstream from Foremost on the right side for about 1/2 mile without a strike. Then we worked our way downstream working the opposite side. I caught a 24" striper on a gizzard shad pretty much where Foremost Run and Terry's Run meet. We continued to pull baits all the way out of Terry's Run and worked our way up the Pamunkey. My dad occasionally would cast a blue/orange Smithwick jerkbait if he saw a spot along the shoreline he liked. He had one largemouth follow the bait to the boat. A few casts later he hooked up with a largemouth but it quickly came unhooked. Later he caught a 15" striper. As I was unhooking it for him, one of the planers with a herring behind it hooked up and he reeled in a fat 22" wiper. We went and caught some more gizzard shad and pulled them around pretty far up in the Pamunkey for a couple hours without any strikes. We called it a day around 2:00.
    I have no idea what the water temperature was because my fishfinder isn't working.
    The keeper striper was in about 15' of water. The small striper and wiper were on a point in about 4' of water.
    Can't wait to get back out there.

Water temp up Terrry's and Pamunkey Saturday was in the 52 degree range. You had better luck than me that morning.