Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught my first wild trout, in Utah

Default Caught my first wild trout, in Utah

I'm no trout guy, and outside of the kids fish tanks at various fishing expo's, had never caught a trout. My family and I made a trip out to Utah to visit some friends, and with that I felt compelled to do some fly-fishing for trout. I've never fly-fished either, and this trip out to the Salt Lake area was filled with lots of 'firsts', and we had a blast in some absolutely beautiful country.

I had hooked up with two other guys who were friends of our hosts. I had initially hoped they could take me out and save me the $$ of a guide, but after chatting a bit with them, we decided to go the guide route. They had only been on the fly for about 3-years, and although somewhat experienced, could see the value in taking a day with a pro to learn and advance their game. Me? I was starting from scratch, and got a load of instruction from my guide, Jerry. I think I did well, but there is certainly a whole different technique to working the rod, wrist, arm, fly and different line types. A whole new fishing language too, and it was a really fun challenge for the day.

The first bit was learning technique, but we started on a popular hole on the middle Provo River just a few hundred yards down from the Jordanelle Reservoir. This area is known for it's browns, and lots of them, but they are super picky due to all the pressure. It took me a while to hook up, but once the hatch kicked off, I was able to land 3-4 browns. The first two were pretty small, but I did manage two in the 17-18" range, which I guess is pretty good for that section of river.

After lunch, we made a drive down to the lower Provo River, which picks back up after flowing thru Deer Creek Reservoir. This area is also heavily pressured, but known for bigger browns and some bigger rainbows. While here the fishing was good. My buddies landed probably 2 dozen rainbows and browns between the two of them. They were fishing Tenkara rods, which are basically long cane poles with thinner line. The thinner line and their experience in the bite was probably why they fared better than me. I on the other hand landed another 3-4 browns (no real size) over the 2-3 hours we were down there. As the day was wrapping up, I missed one smaller brown, and then had a really big brown jump and spit the hook. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed as I figured that would end my day, and my newly met friends were razzing me pretty good...all in good fun of course. They were all done, and one of our two guides commented that "There's always one in a group that you need to drag out of the water", and that was me. I wanted one more bite and as I was about to give it up for the day, when I hooked into a real nice rainbow. I didn't realize how strong those fish are, as the fight took quite some time with the 2lb test line, constant river flow and teeny little fly. I finally landed it with a great net job from my guide as the fish had worked into a rocky/sticky area I wouldn't have gotten it back from.

In the end, we had an absolutely fantastic day. I met and made some new friends, learned some new fishing techniques and caught plenty of fish to keep me satisfied. Oh, and we were in Utah so the scenery while fishing, and all week for that matter, was just incredible. Words can't truly describe the beauty and grandeur of all that we saw while out there for the last week. We truly live in "America the Beautiful".

Check out www.utahproflyfishing.com if you are ever out that way. Justin was fantastic to work with as I made plans and was asking questions leading up to the outing. We then fished with Larry and Jerry, and they did not disappoint. Definitely two dudes that love fly and trout fishing as much as us VA bass-heads love the game of chasing the green ones.

Last edited by gnfsnva; 04-05-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Great report and fantastic pictures. Congrats on all the trout!

that looks awesome. I would love to do that some day.......Congrat's Erik....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.......Awesome pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post

LOL - No seriously, it's true. I threw a dry fly a bit,and couldn't even see them out on the water. Like the size of small cookie crumb. If a fish had eaten it, I would have had no idea...not like a bass usually crushing on a frog.

I had a load of fun, and will certainly do it again, but I still prefer the big and beefy game of bass fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post

well said Andy
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Nice job EK. It is a different world. Beautiful scenery. You should try the Robinson and Rose up in Madison County sometime.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

nice, erik. bass on the fly this season????

Trout are pretty tasty.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    nice, erik. bass on the fly this season????
    Maybe. Need to get me a rod first though...and that's not on the priority list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast