I traveled out of the mountains with my cooler that doubles as a seat and spinning rod looking for shad. Arriving Saturday afternoon, the nontidal stretch of the Mattaponi around Zoar was much too high to fish. We did encounter a couple stranded on the opposite bank who had flipped their canoe. My buddy called the police who sent the conservation police up from Aylett to ferry them over. I think the woman was suffering from hypothermia. She had to be hauled away in an ambulance. We left to see if there was any elbow room at Aylett. There was none so I bass fished in a Mill pond near Walkerton.

Sunday morning found Aylett pretty deserted so I set up shop down river from the ramp. The tide was high and had flooded parts of the bank meaninn few would want to hop over water with a handful of gear to join me. I like a little elbow room and privacy if voiding my bladder became necessary.

It wasn't on like gangbusters but a few hours garnered nine Hickory shad a piece. I watched a few others reel in a few. I never made use of my cooler as a seat but left it in the trunk. What a waste of space it was.

Water was high and pretty muddy. Locals said they hadn't seen as many White Shad this year. Another guy taking shad donations was using them for bait tied to jugs down river claiming he would never use a rod again for river stripers. I'm not sure that sounds like fun.