Thread: FOM East: Chick / James 12 may

Default FOM East: Chick / James 12 may

FOM East: Chick / James 12 may

A story of missed opportunities, excuses, and, for the lack of a better word, “Rusty”.

The plan was to practice for this event Thursday and Friday. I couldn’t make it because I’m in the middle of selling my home, packing up and inspections. So my partner Jim did the pre-fishing...but wow, he found a fantastic little creek. A small feeder creek off the James with not more than a quarter of a mile of fishable water. The timing was perfect for pre-spawn bass moving in. So there were a mix of males preparing beds and a few big females roaming the edges and cypress.
    Jim had the bow for this one and kept the boat in a position he thought best, so no complaint...but in retrospect, we needed to be closer to the cypress. The bite was a wacky rig, light line, and spinny poles with lots of parabolic bend. Setting the hook using a #2 mosquito hook, with line stretch, lots of parabolic bend and long casts, you need to be close when you set the hook. If you’re not close, the chances of getting a good hook set on a big bass is slim. Thus the reason I lost two bass over four pounds, and one pushing six to seven pounds.
    The big bass I lost, Jim and I both had just made a long cast to the same cypress. Jim yells fish on, so I laid my rod down grabbed the net. Netted his fish, and Jim then walks to the back of the boat to weigh the fish and cull. I’m on the back deck and he’s standing right in front of me between the seats. I pick up my rod and its heavy, real heavy, and my line is headed down town to deeper water. My line is actually under the boat lengthwise with another 20 or 30 feet out in front. Theres was nothing I could do but sweep the rod to the left and hope for the best. That big old girl came up, but was way to big to jump, she just wallered around violently on the surface. Then poof! She was gone! Ugh! Lol. Did I mention I hate power poles when I’m on the back deck? Haha.
    We should have had 19+ pounds in lieu of the 11 pounds we had. But thats fishing. All my fault. Add to that, my lack of time on the water this year made has made my casting and hook setting skills terribly rusty. There’s a reason why any professional sport requires practice, and lots of it.
    So the take away; we found the fish and pattern to win this one and stay close in the divisional points race. It was poor execution plain and simple. Nothing replaces time on the water in keeping your skills and mental game sharp, and as always, boat position, boat position, boat position!

See ya on the water my friends. God bless and Love you!
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Good report Jim. Similar issues with us too. Good to see you guys this past weekend!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

you guys are amazing....good job, sorry for the lost fish....maybe a larger hook?
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Sorry to hear Jim, those kid of losses really hurt in the pit of your stomach!

Still turned out decently on what ended up being a pretty stingy day out on the Chick. Its always good to see Team J square! See you guys at Chesdin!
    </div>

Know how boat position feels, I'm with ya on a lot of my type presentations on tidal waters I like being close. I also know being the guy in front of boat makes it tough for guy in back at times. 1 they are always fishing used water and 2 hard to make casts, so I'm constantly trying to make adjustments to my presentations to help my partner in back. I can feel the frustrations with it. But still sounds like you guys were on them, but your lack of tow show lol, just playing. Thanks for report Jim god bless.
    2017 Ironman winner

that made me hurt just reading that, painful no doubt Jim - but you are still an awesome team with Jim