Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LKA - FOM Legacy - 5/19/18

Default LKA - FOM Legacy - 5/19/18

This was stop #1 (or #2) of the year for Bryce and I. This was supposed to be our fist event back in April, but it was supposed to be like 35 and rainy on the previously scheduled date, so with this make-up date we got, well, 65-70...and rainy. Regardless of the rain though, we had really fun day and both of us caught quite a few fish for LKA.

Figuring fish were post spawn and a shad spawn was going to be on, we started on a main lake rocky point and before Bryce had even gotten out of his seat I had keeper #1 in the boat with my first cast of the spinner-bait. I stayed on that area/point for a bit and we managed a couple more bites and I think I put #2 in the boat out there as well. It was rainy pretty good and the wind was getting up so we then moved into Mitchells and fished along some sea walls and worked back into the creek. I recommended to Bryce to grab the trick worm and from there on out, he was on 'em. He then put our next 3 keepers in the boat to finish our limit, with one of them being a decent keeper in the 2-2/12lb range. At this point we had our limit, but except for the one, were just 13" cookie-cutters.

As we worked back out of Mitchells I got the jig out and was flipping the fronts of docks, and was able to stick two more better fish, with one in the 3lb range and the other 2-1/2. We culled out some shorty's and were on our way to decent bag (for me), but then we floundered. We spent the next 3-4 hours running docks, grass, rock and what not with a load of rods on deck and we caught a bunch more fish, maybe another 15-20 fish, but they were all cookie cutter bucks that either didn't help, or just culled an ounce here and there. I caught fish on the spinnerbait, crankbait, fluke, jerkbait, jig and trick worm. He caught all of his on the trick-worm.

In the end, we only had 10.92 and I think we finished in 9 or 10th out of the 25 boats. Other dudes certainly found them, and while we found plenty of fish, we just couldn't come across the right ones. In hindsight, I probably should have stuck with the jig and/or the docks. It appeared that pretty much everyone out there caught a limit or had at least a few fish, so that was great that many of the kids were getting some action. CC McCotter and his son won it with 18 something and Lee and his two girls had a great day finishing 5th with 13 something. As for AOY standings, there shouldn't really be any changes, as the top 5-6 teams of the day were not 'regulars' in the series, and they didn't fish the Potomac event, nor will they probably fish the other two. That said, places 7-?? were folks who fished the Potomac and we'll all stay close at the top of the standings, so no real harm done with our middle of the pack finish.

Finally, I'm increasingly proud of my son Bryce for his resilience and willingness to push forward. He looked at the clock at one point and was like "Ohhhhh....it's ONLY 8:00 oclock...". Poor kid was soaking wet, cold, and I could hear the pain in his voice as he was about to cry in frustration. So, I had to play out of the wind a bit and get him catching, which once he did, he was all good and never put the rod down again. It all played out very nicely and we both got lots of pullage and more great memories were made. Take a look at the proud smile on that boys face down below...I think that says it all. I just wish he wasn't growing so dang fast so I could feel good about investing in some good rain-gear. LOL

We'll be at Chesdin for stop #3 this Saturday, and it should be interesting. I know that place takes a while to clear up, so the muddy water gear will be getting tied on this week.

Pretty sure that's Cash is in the background. I'd venture to guess he was about to fall in but Gunnar probably saved him...again.

Last edited by gnfsnva; 05-21-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Nice job Erik
    I'm about to play my Ace

It gets no better than that......js
    One Lap Race..

Nice work Erik and Bryce

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

That's awesome yall caught a bunch of fish even if they weren't big ones. Makes for a fun day with the little man! Good job!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Catching fish almost makes it worth while, even in the rain. Y'all did well

you are the best dad ever.

That's what it's all about... spending time with your kids! You are doing it right!

Nicely done Erik, your son will remember these trips for his entire life!!
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Parenting done right, regardless of the finish time together is time well spent. Good job bud
    2017 Ironman winner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast