Thread: Potomac River...Bass, Snakeheads, even a Catfish

Default Potomac River...Bass, Snakeheads, even a Catfish

Hit the river on 8-30-2018 with some hopes of catching a few nice bass up in the grass beds. Even with the high expected to be about 92+ we ventured out of Aquia and fished some of the community areas without much luck early on. We tossed Senkos, Jigs, and Frogs with only a few small fish to show. Later in the day we decided to switch things up a bit and see if we could catch a few Snakeheads, for a good fish fry. We tossed frogs up into the matted grass and pads and managed to get 4 nice Snakeheads before heading home, . The Snakeheads must have been hungry, because they were destroying the frogs and we did not have as many missed hookups as normal with them. We also managed 1 decent bass and even got a catfish to hit a swim jig. Overall a great day to be out on the river even with the sun beating down.

I hear the snakes are good eating. I have to try it one day. good job!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I hear the snakes are good eating. I have to try it one day. good job!
    They are dang good eating IMO

Looks like a nice outing. I would double check the regulations on keeping Snakeheads in the livewell. They may need to be dead before you put them in there. You may have indeed done that. I just wanted to mention it just in case.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MSTFSH View Post
    Looks like a nice outing. I would double check the regulations on keeping Snakeheads in the livewell. They may need to be dead before you put them in there. You may have indeed done that. I just wanted to mention it just in case.
    They must be dead to transport them, and you are supposed to report any harvested snakeheads. Yep these were dead or dead in short time...YouTube and most viewers frown on watching me smack them in the head with a hammer...LOL, but it the best way I found to kill them and not make a mess in the boat.

I was really shocked on how deep these fish were getting hooked though...even the bass were swallowing the frogs