Thread: Awful Quiet

Default Awful Quiet

Has every one given up fishing, or is the river really that bad?

Dunno about the Potomac but the rivers in SW VA are still a mess. Drove over the New yesterday - it's still choco milk. I've read reports from our region that shared similar observations for the Roanoke, Dan, and Blackwater Rivers. I'm headed to NE TN later today - I'm sure I'll see the same thing on the Holston River.

Gotta keep in mind how much rain the state got. NOVA and western VA were hammered. We complained about the 6-10" we got here during this last storm. Y'all prob saw almost 2x that. That's a lot of water.

How true.

Holston north fork is clear, main fork is still heavily stained (but not as bad as the New). We gonna be living w/ this for s while.

Water is definitely stained and the grass (what little there was) is quickly dying off, but there are plenty of fish to be caught and a lot of bait in the creeks. Should only get better with the cooler days and nights

I haven't been on the river in the past few weeks but the river wasn't bad in terms of catching bass. Lots of bass being caught. There will still be some good grass left and fish that. Fish wood in creeks and drops and you should do ok. The more good grass you can find, the clearer the water will be and that will help.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Thanks for the help. Grandson and I will hit it Monday and hope we don't freeze.

I bought a surf rod to try my hand at that while on vacation. A whole week at the beach and I got to spend approximately 1 hour casting Daiwa Salt Pro minnow into the surf and manage to catch a bluefish. I was hoping to snag into something a little more substantial but the bluefish at least avoided a skunk trying something for the first time. That said, I made a few mistakes.

1. I didn't realize how big the Penn reel would be and I didn't read the specs carefully. I put 300 hundred yards of 30 pound test on it and probably could have put another 200. I'm thinking of trying to salvage that line and respool it on a baitcaster I have sitting in the garage.
    If I ever am down there again in October, I will be upgrading to at least 50 lb test. That said, I could still make decent casts that more than enough covered the area I needed to hit. The baitfish were thick in the surf closest to land. I could see them and the blues hitting them.

2. I saw some videos of Youtube guys fishing that minnow and decided that is what i would try. I hate cut bait and messing around with it. Artificial is definitely the way to go, but I should have brought a better arsenal of lures.

3. Perhaps the surf rod was overkill and I could have used my inshore set up. Still not sure about it as the bluefish wasn't very big but still managed to bow the rod pretty substantially in the surf. All I know is my back started killing me with all that casting and retrieving.
    Thank God For Rednecks