Thread: Striper fishing live bait

Default Striper fishing live bait

I've been getting into/trying to get into live bait striper fishing the past year or so. Ive got to the point i can usually catch some bait and i have enough rods and equipment that i definitely have no excuse for not catching them, but i havent quite figured it out yet. Mostly deciphering between a school of striper or a school of large bait or catfish etc... i think im just fishing in the wrong spots a lot. is there anyone out there interested in going out? I dont have tons of time to go, but usually once every week or so. I have a fairly junky but functional boat thats usually in the water at the lake thats big enough for a few people.

I went out today from about 4pm to 6pm and yesterday about the same time; lots of bait and looked to be some fish on the sonar starting before the splits over the flats and up past jett island, caught 4 shad / herring pretty easily both days and ive been running 4 downlines between 10-25 depending what depth it looks like the striper are at and 4 planer boards, but other than a couple bites that didnt hook up no luck. Fished yeaterday on the deep side of jett island around the front of the park beach area and today from the flats before the splits up to the front of the park beach where it seems like the bait gets chased in the evenings. Has anyone been having any luck or are yall fishing uplake more? I hate going uplake when it looks like theres fish where ive been at, but i havent been able to get anything to bite.

Have you done a charter with Jim Hemby? I'm not much of a live bait fisherman but I have done an outing with him before. He's a master when it comes to reading and deciphering the depth finder and is probably the best on the lake when it comes to live bait striper fishing. May be worth it to do a trip or two with him.

I second what Kyle says about Hemby. I am not a live bait fisherman either. Big girls should be moving up the ends of the arms if the muddy water ever clears.

Yeah id love to go out with hemby and hopefully will one day. Ive had enough help from people as it is already that i should have figured it out already lol... Ive been trying to convince some friends to split a trip with me but no luck, and its hard to drop 4-500$ for a day of fishing, although im sure i would learn a lot. Im hoping to get out later today actually and give it a shot again, although ive heard they havent been biting so great. Just good to get out on the water. Id like to go with hemby or tony or someone once a month for a year, and get a good feel for the seasonal patterns and stuff. Ill let yall know if i have any luck or not.

Caught bait just north of days bridge (about 4-6” shad) and kept going north past the s turns, but diddnt see much after it got shallower than 20’. after the s turns it was mostly iced over so i turned around and trolled 6 planers and 2 downlines from about where the no wakesurf bueys are to in front of hunters, hooked up one decent one about 25” at almost where it splits north if hunters in about 18’ of water. that was about it. Anyone having better luck elsewhere?Name:  DA857AA9-5304-42BD-B1AD-2D45C5DA5E82.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  38.8 KBName:  9D08DE6F-66E2-4506-9829-EC454DA6FF9E.jpeg
Views: 84
Size:  51.4 KBName:  D9989D3C-6972-4BA7-BEED-1D03F24A16A5.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  48.7 KB

I haven't had much luck either, just been getting into it, very difficult. Thank you for the reports

great pix, dood! well done!

Went out today in the morning till a out 11; looked like striper on the sonar and put downlines down to them in about 25-30’ of water on the north side of stubbs bridge and also some near rose valley, had rods bend a couple of times but no hook-ups. Hopefully tomorrow is better. Anyone catching any yet?