Thread: Nov 18-19-20th

Default Nov 18-19-20th

Iíve fished for anna stripers the past three days now and Iím getting a feel in how and where they are feeding. Right now theres no shortage of either stripers or bait from the mouth of Mitchels creek to the first bridges up lake. Water temps are still in the mid fifties but I expect them to drop after the cold front coming in on Thanksgiving day. The further up the rivers you go the colder the water gets...and the dirtier they get.
    As always, look for the birds. They will tell you where the active feeding fish are. The stripers are feeding periodically throughout the day right now, and cloudy days seem to be better than the clear sunny days as expected. Early morning (6:30-7:30), and late evening of course are the best times then its a waiting game for pods of striper to come up throughout the day. If youíre in an area where nothing is happening then crank up and go looking for em between 208 bridge and the first bridges. Wherever you find a pod of boats or birds gathered youíll find the active fish.
    I throw a Vault Blade bait 90% of the time and Iím catching fish but not nearly as many as those that are throwing swim baits and ARigs. The striper are hanging / suspended in the mid depth ranges and the schools break apart rather quickly after their initial attack on a pod of bait. You need to canvass the area fan casting swim baits if you want to catch more than just one or two after the initial attack. The ones I am catching are hitting my blade on the drop or as I am retrieving it in. I donít catch as many as others but I think Iím catching more keepers when I do get bit. 90% of the time the bigger ones are deeper than the smaller ones up top...thats what I believe anyway, lol. I do catch an occasional bass mixed in with the stripers and the bass love a gold blade. During the dead times of the day, Iíll canvas the bottom under a school of bait in the 15 to 30 foot range with the blade bait, searching for large silver perch, catfish, and bass.

If the birds are working tight to the bank, you can bet on bass being there too even if you catch a few stripers mixed in.

On a side note, Dave is the only one working fish tails right now. If heís not there when you launch donít forget to pay the ramp fee when you come in. We donít want to mess up a good thing.

Good luck out there friends and God bless.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Thanks for the report and all the tips. I want to get after some Lake Anna stripers this Fall or Winter.

Great Report! Had my grandson out this morning and will post a report shortly.

Who will be out there tomorrow morning with temps in the teens?

Thanks for the report Jim. I was hoping to get there Saturday, but the weather is looking wet. I'm coming down with a cold, looks like I'll stay home this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post
    Thanks for the report Jim. I was hoping to get there Saturday, but the weather is looking wet. I'm coming down with a cold, looks like I'll stay home this weekend.
    Them stripers aren’t going anywhere. You get well. They’ll be there when you’re ready. God bless.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper