Thread: Sml, 2 dec 2018

Default Sml, 2 dec 2018

Couldn't let 70* temps go by without getting wet. Loaded up the sled this AM and headed to the state park ramp. Two other trailers in the lot and one of those was a pontoon. Fished for ~5 hours and saw maybe (maybe) 4 other boats, all of them bass boats except for one lone striper dood.

Was pleasantly surprised to see 52+* at the state park ramp so I started immediately looking for bait. Marked a few small pods so that queued me into starting in the backs of creeks and coves. I motored downlake a few miles w/ the plan to bounce from point to offshore hump back towards the park, then uplake a bit (just short of the 122 bridge). I marked some bait but not a lot. Herring and a few small pods of gizz. Managed to get bit on an underspin, a medium running crank bait, and a c-rig. No takers on deeper divers, blades, or rattle baits. No real pattern to the bites save for depth - 10-15' was the magic range for me. If there was some wood or brush in there that helped. I had no bites up shallow. Marked lots of fish deeper but none of them had any interest in my baits.

Observations: 1) Temps were steady between 52 and 53.5. A little cooler as I made my way uplake. 2) Water clarity was good - in fact, perfect for me. A slight stain w/ ~3-5' of viz. Water picked up a little more stain the further back into the creeks I went. Main lake looked ~clear. 3) Most of the bait activity I saw was deeper and on the bottom. I didn't mark any bait towards the mouths of creeks/coves. Everything I saw was back. 4) Secondary points were better than main lake points. Wood was better than rock. 5) I didn't see any schooling activity but I did see a lot of gulls working bait.

I never did see any of that 70* we were supposed to get until I got back home. Front was moving a lil slower than I hoped. No matter. Felt good to get out and give the sled a few good runs.

peace,
    B

I'm headed out for a 10 day job on Tuesday. When I get back we need to go to Smith one weekday if you can get out of the salt mine. I love Smith in the winter. You can actually fish without getting run over.

Glad you got out and got a day in on the water!

i can do that. holler when you're back.

Like to get back down there fished it once years back, was a invite from blue and grey tournament and was trying to learn it on a fly. Bad day fishing but felt little better when only 6 out 30 something boats weighed and only 1 had a limit. Was a guy who knew lake pretty well and targeted small mouth which he had 16#'s for win and the new boat. Dude told me in morning what he was fishing with and color and he said didn't mind sharing cause if you don't know how or where it wasn't gonna do you any good.
    2017 Ironman winner