Thread: Reel repair and cleaning?

Default Reel repair and cleaning?

Just wondering if there are any recommendations when it comes to a local reel repair and cleaning guru. As the reel collection grows my free time for complete tear downs is shrinking. I am near Fredericksburg.

Dominion Tackle and Reel repair (member on this site). Funky does great work. Have been using him for years. Local - Springfield. PM him here or use this link: https://dominiontackle.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Dominion Tackle and Reel repair (member on this site). Funky does great work. Have been using him for years. Local - Springfield. PM him here or use this link: https://dominiontackle.com/
    I second Dominion!

1C1F... I am as close as your PO or just off I-95 in Springfield if you come up this way.

If you went to my site you saw my notice that I had a stroke. My rehab is coming along well, but when it rains, it pours. I have a herniated disc in my lower spine and it has kept me from doing almost anything. I also need cataract surgery. The stroke put me on blood thinners., and when you are on blood thinners they cannot perform any surgery... and an epidural steroid injection is considered surgery. The Neuro and Cardio doods wouldn't give me permission to stop until I finished some tests and heart monitoring. That is done last week and I went off Plavix this week. I hope to get some cortisone shots starting the end of this week and am also seeing an Ophthalmologist this week. As long as things go the way they should, I hope to be back doing at least some reels in the next four to five weeks, maybe sooner.

So, if you are not in a big hurry and they are somewhat simple servicing or repair, drop me a line as to what you have, make ,complete model info and the issues. I will get back to you as soon as I can sit at my bench and see what the hell I'm doing. ;o)

Tight Lines,
    Jim Funkhouser

Quote Originally Posted by Dominion Tackle View Post
    1C1F... I am as close as your PO or just off I-95 in Springfield if you come up this way.

If you went to my site you saw my notice that I had a stroke. My rehab is coming along well, but when it rains, it pours. I have a herniated disc in my lower spine and it has kept me from doing almost anything. I also need cataract surgery. The stroke put me on blood thinners., and when you are on blood thinners they cannot perform any surgery... and an epidural steroid injection is considered surgery. The Neuro and Cardio doods wouldn't give me permission to stop until I finished some tests and heart monitoring. That is done last week and I went off Plavix this week. I hope to get some cortisone shots starting the end of this week and am also seeing an Ophthalmologist this week. As long as things go the way they should, I hope to be back doing at least some reels in the next four to five weeks, maybe sooner.

So, if you are not in a big hurry and they are somewhat simple servicing or repair, drop me a line as to what you have, make ,complete model info and the issues. I will get back to you as soon as I can sit at my bench and see what the hell I'm doing. ;o)

Tight Lines,
    Jim Funkhouser
    Damn Jim, sorry to hear - we all hope you get better soon.

Yes Jim. Get well soon.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Quote Originally Posted by Dominion Tackle View Post

Tight Lines,
    Jim Funkhouser
    Thanks for the reply, you come highly recommended in the local area. I am in no rush since I just broke all mine down and lubed everything for the season, but am looking for the fall winter this year. Should not need any major repairs on any of them since they are fairly well taken care of. I have a variety of reels, 2 Lews baitcasters, 4 Pfluger Patriarchs baitcasters, 1 Abu Revo Rocket, 1 Shimano Metanium, 2 Pfluger Patriarch spinning reels, 2 Quantum Smoke spinning reels. Would any of these reels be a issue for tear down and cleaning? Hope you get to feeling better and back in the swing of things.