Thread: Smith Mtn Lake, 3 FEB 2019

Default Smith Mtn Lake, 3 FEB 2019

Couldn't pass up on 60* weather on the first weekend of FEB so I hit the lake for a few hours today. Was shocked to see the state park ramp parking lot empty. Finally had another boat come in just as I was floating mine. Maybe saw 10 boats all day, all bass boats. A good thing.

Water was maybe 18-24" down and clear when I put in. Headed across from the S-turn and worked a couple of main lake coves, focusing on points and offshore structure. Took some experimenting but finally got one to eat a jerkbait. This fish came off a deep water dock. Picked one up on an underspin off of an offshore hump not too long after that. Hooked up on a beast - don't think it was a bass tho' - off that same hump a few casts later but it pulled off. From there I bounced uplake and hit a couple of the feeder creeks south of the 122 bridge. Water warmed but only slightly. Had a couple hits on the underspin and one more on the jerkbait before calling it a day.

Observations: 1) Saw 41.5* at launch, 43.3* uplake. Water in the main channel is clear - easily 8-10' of viz. Water picks up a little stain as you move towards the backs of creeks - maybe 4-5' of viz. 2) Saw some clumps of lite green flotsam, almost algae-looking, as I was tying off. Saw this same stuff everywhere I went. Not sure what it was. Reminiscent of algae bloom in summer. Maybe dying phytoplankton??? 3) I marked a handful of baitfish pods, mostly in the creek channels. I did see some herring pods in the backs of creeks. All of this was in 20+' of water. 4) Gulls and loons everywhere but no signs of feeding fish anywhere I went. 5) I marked lots of fish in the 20-25' range just about everywhere I went. Main lake points, secondary points, and ledges all held fish. Did not see much suspended. Marked a few fish holding on brush/rock piles, also in 20-25'. 6) The bite started to pick up as the sun came out. Did not take long for things to warm up. Would've loved to stay a bit longer but I had kitchen duty.

Spent quite a bit of time w/ some new KVD deep diving jerkbaits. They are dead on w/ the advertised depth. I was digging up bottom in 9-10' routinely. The clear colors (ayu, clear water minnow) show up very well in clear water. Believe these are gonna be invaluable as the fish start to move up to feed.

peace,
    B

Always good to get out on a warm day. Sounds like it was a decent time out as well.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Nice job 31.....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

nice work
    I'm about to play my Ace

Nice day out B.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011