Thread: FOM Legacy - James River - 5/25/19

Default FOM Legacy - James River - 5/25/19

Fished the third event of the season on Saturday out of Hopewell City Marina. I/we were very unsure on this one, with low expectations, as this was all new water for me. I have fished the James, but I've always fished basically from Dutch Gap and up but with Saturday's tides, I knew I'd be better running down river from Hopewell. That said, I decided to run down to Herring and just camp out in there all day. I don't know my way around well enough to be venturing all about the river and quite frankly, the more I could avoid the pleasure boats the better. So we pulled in there with a couple other boats, put the TM down and went to work.

Our first stop in the creek was in a bend with some structure that looked very promising. One of the best things about this series are the opportunities given to teach the youth about fishing as well as many other things while on the water. I instructed Bryce on where and why I thought bites were going to be as we moved around the spot. Fortunately I was correct... We got our first bite right where it was supposed to be off a stump. A beautiful topwater bite not too far from the boat where I got to watch her come up and lazily engulf my bait, mouth wide open. It was also a beautiful fish, and a great start to the day. Nothing like boating a 5+lber in the first 20min of action. Shortly thereafter I boated a 2nd keeper, also on a popper.

As the tide topped out about 9:00ish, things slowed down and we went into grind mode. We idled around hitting different area's here and there with no success. Bryce took a nap, and I contemplated life.... Once the tide flipped things got better and I started to get some crankbait bites. First a catfish, then a small bass, then another and another. Bryce got up and started casting too and as we dialed things in on a 75-yard stretch, we were getting bit quite often. No size, but it was fun to catch them. Again, Bryce was observant enough to watch and learn, as he studied my retrieve. Once he started doing this, he started catching too. Learning has occurred... This was a fun stretch, and we now had a limit, but we had to start moving around to look for some bigger bites.

As the day was winding down and we worked back out the creek, I went back to the very first stretch where we started. I was throwing a crankbait now, and he was cleaning up in the back with a senko. I rolled my bait over some wood, and after it came off the rod loaded up. Another good one, and as it jumped my heart skipped and Bryce actually squealed, much like a little pig. It was sort of a scream, but he also had a mouthful of Grandma UTZ at the same time, so he made a screaching/squealing sound...LOL. Once in the net, i just kept laughing, and needless to say we've had fun the last two days making fun of that candid reaction. This fish was a huge upgrade too. A good 4.75-5lber...we just needed to upgrade again and get those three little ones out. Just before go time Bryce landed one that that culled us up a few more ounces, and probably was enough to bump us up a spot.

In the end, we finished in 3rd with 13.61, and Big Fish at 5.51. Those three small fish hurt us, but I have no complaints whatsoever on the day, nor the season for that matter. New water, good fish, lots of fish and great times with my oldest son. We've had a fantastic season with a Win, a 5th, and 3rd place finishes. Along with that, 2 Big Fish prizes (4.81lbs and 5.51lbs) and Bryce landed his PB (4.28lbs) in the LKA tournament. Most importantly, we've created some great memories and shared some good times on the water.

We would be sitting in a dead tie for AOY going into the final event...but...we missed a meeting which forfeited a full 50 points, so were in like 10th. That said, I'm looking to line up Bryce with a sub for the final event (if anyone is interested in toting him around for a day), as I'll be out of country. Final event is Chick River - June 8th out of Rockahock.

Name:  James River.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  125.3 KB

Nice job! I remember Herring Creek being hot hot hot!
    Make VAO Great again

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Nice job! I remember Herring Creek being hot hot hot!
    LOL - HOT HOT HOT, like 30lbs on 5 casts HOT!!!!

Very sweet guys, good times good memories is what it's all about
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Congrats on a great day Erik.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Team Lunde rox the house. Nice work, doods.

That's what it's all about right there! Well done Erik and Bryce!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions