Thread: Considering an inflatable lifejacket

Default Considering an inflatable lifejacket

With this heat, its pretty oppressive wearing a typical lifejacket all the time. I was considering an inflatable life jacket but wanted to get some feedback first since they are pretty expensive. Looking at an automatic one as I don't know why someone would consider a manual one. But what happens if they go off, how do you reuse them - can you rework it your self?

Also, I am concerned about humidity in a storage box etc on the boat and causing it to go off. What are your opinions?

You have to be careful, not all inflatable life jackets are rated the same. Not all of them will roll you over if unconscious, the Class I life jackets are the only ones. If it were me, I wouldn't look at anything but a class 1. If you fall out of a boat due to an accident or heat stroke you want to make sure you are face up in the event of entering the water.

Mustang is the only one that I’ve ever owned that hasn’t prematurely went off on their own due to air temps in the nineties. I’ve had em go off in the truck, in the rod boxes, and while just laying in the boat seat. Spend the money and get one made by mustang.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I've owned both the Onyx and the Mustang. Like J1M, I've not had any issues w/ the Mustang. I have had issues w/ the Onyx deploying while stored. There is a maintenance requirement for inflatable PFDs. Be sure to read the owner's manual carefully to understand maintenance and interval.

Tundra gave you the most sage advice out there - Class 1 devices are the only ones rated to turn you over, keep your face out of the drink. You have to weigh the importance of comfort against the convenience of being cool.

Keep in mind also, at least in the state of Virginia you have to wear the inflatable jacket entire time on boat, unless you have other type of life jacket on board. This is do to it being mechanically operated and can malfunction.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Quote Originally Posted by ATL View Post
    With this heat, its pretty oppressive wearing a typical lifejacket all the time. I was considering an inflatable life jacket but wanted to get some feedback first since they are pretty expensive. Looking at an automatic one as I don't know why someone would consider a manual one. But what happens if they go off, how do you reuse them - can you rework it your self?

Also, I am concerned about humidity in a storage box etc on the boat and causing it to go off. What are your opinions?
    Yes, I have had friends where they went off in their storage box. 30 dollars and more a pop....

Here is my take on this topic. I do not like inflatables. They are decidedly NOT reliable. Recent youtube video of 2 DNR officers who hit a log and got thrown in the water. One's opened and ones did not. This story is seen many times over. When you NEED a lifevest, you NEED it to work. There are nice lightweight
    vests that work very well and are not hot. That is what I now do. I gave my mustang away years ago...
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.