Thread: 1 Rod 3 Bait Challenge - Now till Monday July 8th

Default 1 Rod 3 Bait Challenge - Now till Monday July 8th

I came across this elsewhere and thought it was a good idea, so why not. Over the long weekend, most people should be able to get out and fish at least 1 day between now and Monday.

Rules for the 1 Rod 3 Bait Challenge
    Fish any of these days, or all of them if you want. But for one of them you need to stick to 1 rod and reel, and 3 baits for at least a day. Need to be 3 different baits though - a football jig and a swim jig are still only considered a "jig", but stick to three baits and 1 rod. The point is to see how versatile that 1 rod and those 3 baits can be.

Then, post up a report in this thread as to how you did, but please give the specifics - road and reel, line used, baits used and how you worked them - as much detail as you can. Even if you dont catch a single thing, you are still eligible to win. But to win, you must make a post - the only requirement in the post is that it must be at least 200 words - the length of this post right here.

Good luck, a winner will be drawn and receive a nice gift pack of assorted soft plastics, some cranks, some other goodies. No need to sign up, just fish and make the post.
    Last edited by Brian; 07-03-2019 at 10:38 AM.

I was able to get out for about an hour last night in between thunderstorms to do a little fishing in a new spot. I love to fish small creeks and spillways since the moving water usually always has fish hanging around. I chose to use my 6’6” ugly stick with a shimano katana reel spoiled with 6lb test.

The water was slightly off color so I used a 2.5” swimbait, brown ned rig, and a chartreuse and white maribou jig.

I started with the ned rig which resulted in one lost large mouth. I then switched over to the small swimbait. I worked it as a slow retrieve with a few small twitches. I was able to catch one small green sunfish on this before switching it up again. The maribou jig produced another small green sunfish. I just dragged the jig slowly across the rocky bottom of the spillway.

At least I did not get skunked but I had higher expectations for this location. I’ll probably fish it a few more times and see if I can pull some crappie or walleye out of there.

Hope you all are getting out this weekend and enjoying some time on the water. Hopefully we get some consistent rains in the valley and I can go back to trout fishing. I seem to do a whole lot better on small mountain streams with Natives.

Today I did only use 3 baits, but they were on 3 different rods. All though they were all medium rods 6'6"-7'.
    1 rod the 7' rod Lews orange crush spinning rod had a sweet beaver tiesd on with a 3/16oz weight with 12#mono leader on a 30#braid. This little number was key on putting my first 2 good fish in boat, working it over wood and across the grass. The 2nd rod was a 6'9" bass pro with a JM bait caster with 10# test trilene big game. This had a strike king crank bait in sexy shad, that runs 10-12'. This baby put a 20+# blue cat to boat. This thing crushed it. I say to boat because I released it at side of boat, that slime wasnt coming in the skeeter. This bait was a used mostly in and around cover and quick dropout ledges. This crank also put 2 of my best fish in boat a 3+ and a 4+, as well as a few 11/2 to 2# fish. Rod 3 was a 6'6" med. Lews Spinning rod rigged with a shaky head. This is my go to even on the mud flats dragging it through those 1-2' cuts and out to the drop offs out of the creek mouths. Over all through day I caught 20-25 bass most were dinks 11-13" but still a lot of fun. The rappahanock showed it has been blessed with some good recrutes from the last 2 spawns.
    Tide was incoming in morning until 10:30. In this time I caught most all my dinks. When tide changed to outgoing the fish got bigger and were hinting much harder. Water temps went from 81 in morning to 86 in afternoon. Day was cut short by mother nature grumbling, so I played it safe and left biting fish.
    I know this doesn't count in contest but just sharing the day.plus I did have other rods on deck but those 3 were the ones I used all day because they were working.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

My fiance and I did about a 6 mile kayak float on the Rivanna River through Charlottesville from Darden Towe Park to Milton on the 4th. We put in at about 8:20 AM and finished around 12:30 PM. Water was moving really slow in a lot of sections. I was in my Jackson Coosa kayak. I was using a 6' 6" rod with a Pflueger spinning reel. It's nothing special, but I have cared for it well, and that thing is as smooth as reels twice the price. I had 10# mono line tied to a 1/0 Gami offset, using a 1/8 oz bullet weight. I had on my favorite small mouth lure for fishing the rivers in this area, the Zoom Ultra Vibe Speed Craw in the Watermelon Seed color.

We hadn't had rain most of the week prior. I had looked at the river on Wednesday afternoon and it was crystal clear. We had some hard rain overnight into Thursday and it muddied things up quite a bit, which I think negatively impacted the fishing, especially since I was using a real natural looking bait. Maybe I should have chosen something with a little more brightness. Fishing was slow, but I managed two short smallies. I saw two gar sitting on top of the water in a little cove at around the 4 mile mark. Just for fun, I threw my lure around them. Finally, one chased and bit my lure and spit it. I slowed down the retrieve and he circled back to it, this time biting it but then just sitting still with it in his mouth. I waited a few seconds and then tried to set the hook, but it pulled out of his mouth. Anyway, if I had hooked it, he surely would have ripped through my mono with his teeth pretty quickly. It got pretty hot by the time we took out and the river was getting crowded with people kayaking and tubing. We were glad we started early-ish to get off the water just after noon. It was a great way to start the fourth and I'll be out there again soon, next time, with a full tackle box

Yesterday I made the trek down to Lake Anna to make an attempt at this one rod three bait challenge. Launched the boat at Sturgeon Creek about 6:15am. Hoping I would get a few hours in before the pleasure boaters hit the lake in full force. Thinking back to my fly fishing days and using one rod for the entire day wasn't even a thought. The only choice was what was tied to your tippet, dry, nymph or streamer.

With more rods in the boat and one for every specific technique what Rod do I choose for this challenge? My choice was one of the rods I use the most... One of my drop shot rods. My choice was a St Croix Avid 6'6" med lite fast action spinning Rod with a Shimano Nasci reel with 10lb braid and a 8 lb floro leader.

I was surprised to arrive at my first stop mid-lake to find it void of boats. Just a couple paddle boarders out for their morning exercise. After I dropped the trolling motor I noticed numerous fish busting bait all round me. I snipped off the drop shot rig and tied on my first bait for the challenge, a North Anna bait Co. Fluke on belly weighted hook. I figured I would cast to the swirls and fish it like a jerk bait back to the boat. It was long till I was hooked up with my first school i.e. Striper. This technique worked well and for the next hour I had the area to myself (surprisingly) and was getting hits and even some hookups! All told with this bait I landed 4 stripers, all unders and a nice chunky largemouth.

As the sun got higher I decided to change to a popper for bait number two and headed towards the shady bank. My topwater choice is usually the Whopper Plopper but I felt even the 90 size was too much for the med-lite Rod. I still struggle with a good cadence using any top water techniques as my roots are with a fly rod and stripping line. On my way to the bank I caught one striper with the popper and missed one that knocked the bait clear out of the water. I worked the popper along the bank and then around the docks and back to the bank and grass and only got a couple hits from brim. Finally as I entered into the main lake along a grass line I finally hooked up and landed a small bass. The boat traffic was beginning to pick up and another long stretch without a hookup I decided to head down lake. Mid lake water temps were around 86 and down lake by dike 3 the water was 91.

Down lake I tied on what the Rod is used for most of the time and bait / technique number 3 was a drop shot with a number 2 hook with a 1/4 ounce weight. I fished this rig around the rock and then some docks with no luck. Usually I can catch a fish or two with this technique but today was a no go. I very rarely drop shot vertically. I cast out and drag it back to the boat. I lose a bunch of weights and hooks but have the most confidence fishing it this way.

Time was pushing around 10:45 so I thought it best to head back towards the ramp as my little Stratos don't like the big wakes. As I approached the turn back to Sturgeon I decided to make one last stop at the 208 bridge to see if I could catch a few crappie.

I didn't think the small 1/16 jigs would cast very well so I tied on a 1/4 oz. Damiki Vault blade bait. Vertically jigging didn't work despite seeing lots of them under the boat. I back off the pilings and made long casts hopping the bait back to the boat. This technique resulted in 3 keepers.

Around noon I decided I'd had enough bouncing around and headed back in.

The challenge was fun, I missed the convenience of just picking up a Rod and fishing or trying different techniques in the same area. I typically don't change a lot of baits during the day I tend to rig up rods at home and go fshing. It takes me a lot longer tying on baits while getting bounced around on the boat.

Sorry for the long read .... If you did

Looks like ya'll had fun with it!

Looks like you guys had fun with this. Maybe next up would 3 rods and just one type of bait. IE: 3 jigs of different sizes and colors....but just a jig. Kinda like the frog only tournaments.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Great entries, any remaining posts need to be published by tonight, I will ask a small panel to select the winner.

Thank you to everyone that participated. We did a poll of the forum supporters to determine the winner of the gift pack. Trout Chaser was selected - please PM me your mailing address so I can get this out to you.

We will be doing more soon, I hope that you all found this to be challenging but fun.