Thread: How would you fish this?

Default How would you fish this?

The last discussion was great, so here is the new one. This scenario is pretty specific, but you have pads with wood structure. Water at the edge of the pads is 3 1/2 to 4 feet, at the end of the wood - the water is about 7 feet. The wood extends out about 14 feet.

How are you fishing this?
    What is the first lure you are throwing?
    How are are you going to work that lure?
    What is your second choice (or third) of lures?

Name:  20190706_084955.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  367.1 KB

Looks to be fairly early yet, pending I may go with a buzz bait across the front of pads. Then I'd probably pitch a jig or shaky head in the pads and around the wood, putting extra time on working all sides of the wood, starting at the transition point at pads. Pending how I did I may go back with a mid range crank bait that runs 4-6' bring it from the front edge of pads bumping dredging bottom and diving off ledge, then getting chancy by pulling it across wood bouncing off it's braches below surface.
    This is going on I'm on a small impoundment or lake. If I were fishing a river or tidal there is a little different approach with baits and aggressiveness on working them and weather it is low or high tide or if a tide at all.
    High tide I'd be more apt to start with a frog bringing out of the pads and working it with current. Same with my shaky head or jig up into pads working it with current out of pads to the drop out in front. Still I would go back with a crank bait but more concentration on the drop from 4-7'. The same at low tide unless there is little to no water in pads. Then the frog is out and a spinnerbait is in tossing it up into the front edge of pads keeping it just below surface like fleeing baitfish. If there is any top water blow ups and bait being chased, I'd throw a top water jerk bait or pop-r.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

I'm probably going to look at fishing a weightless fluke coming off the pads, maybe a frog. If nothing I would probably follow up with a swimming jig working it through the wood.

swim jig, then a fluke. Prob start by steady retrieve on the swimmer, then slow down (stop-n-go) if no strikes. I would dead stick the fluke initially, targeting wood, holes in the pads, and the front edge.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    swim jig, then a fluke. Prob start by steady retrieve on the swimmer, then slow down (stop-n-go) if no strikes. I would dead stick the fluke initially, targeting wood, holes in the pads, and the front edge.
    Sounds right after I just pounded it with the arsenal I went through it with lol
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Frog all the way for me. If the pads are that healthy....its probably early summer. Would also try a creature bait pitched amongst them....like a brush hog.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Def going to start with a frog...then throw a bullshad around the tree...and clean it up with a senko
    Last edited by PsuHntr; 07-09-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Make VAO Great again

ok, observations.
    - water is clear, sun is out and thus IMHO the bass will be skittish.
    thus I will start to work from as far away as I can initially.

So my approach is and I am assuming this is the first stop of the day and I have not established a bait or presentation that is working. So first casts would be with a swimbait, I like skinny dippers as they have a pointed nose and are salted so they have some weight and I can sling them out a good ways. I would cast almost to shore (using 65lb braid) and then pull them from the Pads out. I find on any outgoing tide, the fish will be located at natural drains and feeding on the bait being pushed out. After a few casts (and I would work the bait quickly, clearer the water, the quicker), then I would work the wood with a yamamoto d-shad and twitch it around the wood and let it sink and making sure I skip it in to make it look like a skittering shad trying to escape.. Last try before leaving, assuming the bottom is all SAV/Algae would be to throw a drop shot with like a wacky worm for the deeper ledge....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Strike king rage space monkey Texas righed with a very light bullet weight. Allows you to swim on top thru the pads like a horny toad, drop on wood like a traditional t-rig or swim slowly like a swim jig.

Without knowing anything more than the information given, id start outside in. Power shot an 8" worm on a 3/16 weight to probe the deeper brush. If no players, I'd probably fire to the back of the pads with a 3/8oz swim jig paralleling the stick ups working the pads and then letting it pendulum down, working the tops of the brush. Next, swing wide and work pads and shallow wood with a frog and trig creature. OR, id just start and end with a frog cause its so much damn fun!