Thread: Garmin Trolling Motor

Default Garmin Trolling Motor

Have you guys seen the new Garmin trolling motor? I saw the video on YouTube this afternoon. I don't use a Garmin unit but it is pretty cool that they built in the transducers to minimize installing. Supposed to be 30% more powerful than other brands but that could just be marketing. Would you purchase a trolling motor specific to a chart plotter/fish finder?

Rodney

yea, saw that. Brushless powertools are the rage now for all the reasons you mention (power/batt life). My issue is this. I was one of the first
    Triton TRX customers with a Verado in 2005. Motor was too heavy for the hull and eventually blewup (and you could not replace the head on the Verado).

Unfortunately, I sold it to a friend before it blew up on me and I now will NEVER sell one of my boats to a friend....I offered to help him out but he refused.

My next boat from the first generation Skeeter FX21 with the brand new SHO. Well the 2011 SHO again had design problems and was an issue when I
    went to trade it in. Yamaha was quietly replacing blown heads but you had to get lucky with a dealer (and none within 250 miles of my house) to get them
    to push Yamaha to do it. I was one of the first 360 HB customers with a Stern mount.....POS....Then had one of the first lowrance untils where you scanned using
    your TM pedal (Spotlight) that is now defunct. Last year I bought one of the new Ultrex's when it first came out and it seized due to a known problem within 5 hours of usage and almost ruined a Canadian vacation (I had waste a day and buy a second Ultrex for 3k and install it myself for a second day so two days wasted)....

See a trend? Oh, I have the 2017 GMC Denali with the new 8sp tranny....POS.....all kinds of teething problems....

So, yes, I will evenually own a brushless TM that is networked with the PowerPoles and my TBD Electronics (probably HB with bow 360 now that they have a Mega version of 360, but will wait on that too )...and the new Merc 4stroke....(though I am itching)....and and and....
    Last edited by Squire; 07-09-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    yea, saw that. Brushless powertools are the rage now for all the reasons you mention (power/batt life). My issue is this. I was one of the first
    Triton TRX customers with a Verado in 2005. Motor was too heavy for the hull and eventually blewup (and you could not replace the head on the Verado).
    My next boat from the first generation Skeeter FX21 with the brand new SHO. Well the 2011 SHO again had design problems and was an issue when I
    went to trade it in. Yamaha was quietly replacing blown heads but you had to get lucky with a dealer (and none within 250 miles of my house) to get them
    to push Yamaha to do it. I was one of the first 360 HB customers with a Stern mount.....POS....Then had one of the first lowrance untils where you scanned using
    your TM pedal that is now defunct. Last year I bought one of the new Ultrex's when it first came out and it seized due to a known problem within 5 hours of usage and almost ruined a Canadian vacation (I had waste a day and buy a second Ultrex for 3k and install it myself for a second day so two days wasted)....

See a trend? Oh, I have the 2017 GMC Denali with the new 8sp tranny....POS.....all kinds of teething problems....

So, yes, I will evenually own a brushless TM that is networked with the PowerPoles and my TBD Electronics (probably HB with bow 360 now that they have a Mega version of 360, but will wait on that too )
    So Steve, can you just let everyone know when its safe to buy something? Seems like you have had some terrible luck with first generation things.

Yikes Squire, that's rough!

So Garmin, Lowrance, and Motorguide all released new units, and apparently Power Pole is working on one too. Suddenly there are a lot of options for trolling motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 2 View Post
    Yikes Squire, that's rough!

So Garmin, Lowrance, and Motorguide all released new units, and apparently Power Pole is working on one too. Suddenly there are a lot of options for trolling motors.
    I wonder who all is making these too, are they all really different manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I wonder who all is making these too, are they all really different manufacturers?
    Well Lowrance explicitly states in the video you didn't watch apparently that they had to manufacture them inhouse to get
    the quality they wanted.....

BTW, an interesting possibility now exists. The Lowrance TM puts out 100lb thrust in 24v mode and about 130lb thrust in 36v mode.
    You could now, if you wanted, run your TM in 24v mode on our big bass boats without too much loss of thrust and use the extra
    battery for electronics/livewell pumps to save the cranking battery and thus run a smaller cranking battery instead of the 31 series we all now run.....
    cheers,
    Steve

You could now, if you wanted, run your TM in 24v mode on our big bass boats without too much loss of thrust and use the extra
    battery for electronics/livewell pumps to save the cranking battery and thus run a smaller cranking battery instead of the 31 series we all now run.....
    LOL I run my Lowrance Hook 7 on a 7amp/hr battery that fits in the palm of my hand

Well Lowrance explicitly states in the video you didn't watch apparently that they had to manufacture them inhouse to get
    the quality they wanted.....

BTW, an interesting possibility now exists. The Lowrance TM puts out 100lb thrust in 24v mode and about 130lb thrust in 36v mode.
    Those Mercs need lots of amps to turn em over. Can you get 1000 amp batteries in less than a 31 series?
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Those Mercs need lots of amps to turn em over. Can you get 1000 amp batteries in less than a 31 series?
    Just saw that about the v6 and v8 4 strokes. min 975 CCA rating and it MUST be AGM!
    cheers,
    Steve

2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."